• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well can I do turbo?

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6 Soon too be 72 vette 350
Transmission
Automatic
Yeh its crossed my mind a couple times but will they take it without doing internal work allso? 83 ranger auto 2wd 2.8 I was thinking something like a garrett of an thunderbird or 2.2 chrysler turbo2 50trim or so.. Would the carb on these withstand the pressure? has anyone done it on a carburated setup 2.8? let me know folks thanks

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I like the 2.8 too, but if you want more power, do a 4.0 swap or put a cam in your 2.8, even then not much of a gain.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if its the stock 83 odds of it being able to hold up to even 10 to 20 pounds of boost it would more than likely blow out and even if you were able to find a good upto date carb for your 83 its still likely not to hold much boost

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I Have Zero idea how you would even jet that carb, if it would ever work as its designed. Drop a 4.0 in, gain the power of the 4.0 and the reliability of FI.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Europe did use this engine in its racing cars but had a special set-up that allowed it to be turboed. If you could turbo it, 5psi max or your looking at a new engine.

Now mine is TBI and is giving the fuel that a 3.8 needs not a 2.8 so in theroy I could do this without leaning it out as N/A its getting to much fuel. ATM its not a DD and plan on fixing my rich fuel issue.

Like I said do a 4.0 if you want a power upgrade.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what are you planning on doing with your truck? this is a very important question. you need a plan before you start dumping money into your truck then you trun around and want to change what you want to use it for.
my opnion is if you want a good strong lowend torque motor the 300 I6 is a great motor decent fuel mileage very strong and reliable motor.
if you want to go the speed route then a 5.0 is the route you might want to look into

thehotwire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
get a 390 CFM carb and a carb hat, you can pick up a 2bbl to 4bbl adapter at your local autoparts store mine cost 26.99. If you use a higher octane you'll prevent detionation along with an intercooler. my suggestion would be water/methanol injection. as for pistons i would use sealed power pistons had em in my 302 good pistons im willing to bet they would hold up pretty happily to at least 8lbs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals