• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help!

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey folks,
Over the weekend I manually engaged my hubs on my 98' Ranger and it did great... Until I drove for 30+ miles, now my front axle on the passenger side (the passenger side hub had allot of rust in it btw) is separating from the hub. As of now its slid out about 1" and is grinding while I drive. I went on and removed the spring from the hub so that it is disengaged, but its still grinding. Any thoughts on repairing this? I currently have another 75+ miles to drive before I am able to get home. What is evolved in replacing the hub and axle? I looked in my service manual and it seem very complicated (requiring specialized tools), is this a matter of unbolting the axle and hub and bolting a new one in? I also thought about going on and buying new axles and hubs for a 95' or new Explorer and bolting it in, will everything match up? Also... Could I buy the Explorer hubs and axles new from a dealership or Partsamarica.com? I also went to the Ford dealership this afternoon and the parts department said that all Explorers after 95' have vacuum hubs, is this really the case? Is it a good idea to buy used hubs and axle parts from a junkyard?
At this point it appears as though I will need a new hub, axle and barring assembly, will the Explorer hubs and axles fit into the ranger barring assembly?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any pointers.
-Philip

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals