• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Its dead...

bmxboy809

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 T
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"/4"
I have had tons of trouble with this truck but now right before winter it is dead. I started my truck just to move it last week, it started fine and i only ran it for about 30 seconds and shut it off. I came back later and it wouldnt start. It smells like gas and i think it may be flooding. I have compression, and i have spark, and there is fuel at least as far as the injectors and it is in time. We tried starting fluid and nothing works. It cranks and cranks but wont run. sometimes it starts a little but other times it doesnt even seem to try to start. if it is flooding is that the Fuel pressure regulator?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could you have bad gas. You should do a fuel presure test. I think it should be around 35 key on engine off.yes I think it Could be the fpr

bmxboy809

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 T
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"/4"
fuel pressure is good. checked it the day before it died. And the gas sure smells like gas so i think it should be fine. i put new plugs in and it didn't work at all. I pulled the new plugs out and they didn't really look flooded. Any ideas at all would be helpful. I heard the coils go bad on these but i definitely have spark so i don't think mine is.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If you had a good enough spark it would fire and then die when you tried starter fluid.

Your sparks not hot enough.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
things that make an engine run, fuel, spark and air. IF you have fuel, and if you have spark, and if you have air, you need to start looking at the timing of these things. Have you checked your distributor? Could it possibly be loose? Sounds to me like you are losing your timing. Maybe a bad timing chain? How are you verifying timing? Could you balancer be spun and not reading correctly? Have you tried removing the spout connector (it disables the computer advance, should be located on the driver side wheel well IIRC)

As far as the regulator, they do go bad. Most often the diaphragm inside the regulator ruptures and the vacuum from the engine sucks fuel thru the vacuum line and into the regulator. You could try and pull the vacuum line and smell it or look for raw gas. These engines take a minimum of 38lbs of fuel pressure to start, any less than that they start hard.

Another thing, the eec-iv computer system on these things have a trick to shut the injectors off. if you hold the throttle wide open as the roll the engine, it won't inject fuel.

One last suggestion, run a KOEO test to see if you have any codes.

Good luck, hope some of this might help you.

you can also use this awesome site for reference.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/

bmxboy809

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 T
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"/4"
the distributor is tight... and the way we verified timing is to get the #1 cyclinder at TDC and the rotor was pointing at #1 tower on the distributor cap. My dad thinks it is the timing chain but if it skipped one tooth it would at least try to run right? maybe it skipped more than one tooth but i want to be sure before i tear it down.

bmxboy809

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 T
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"/4"
also this thing is parked in front of my house and it will need to be moved soon. If i put the transfer case in neutral does this isolate the transmission so that towing it wont harm the tranny?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
What engine is this?

Did you try changing the TFI module? Those will randomly go out causing a no-start, even though the dizzy is in time.

I also had a 96 dodge with a 5.2L do this. It turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor and a bad ignition coil.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my vote is missing/weak spark. pickup coil/TFI. if it was fuel related it would run on starting fluid

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals