• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 hubs nuts question

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hello
i just got a 88 ranger
manual trans with manual locking hubs
the left wheel fell off (previous owner) and i had to replace the whole spindle/rotor assembly
the used assembly has the automatic(hex) spindle nut instead of the 2 locking spindle nuts.
my question is can i use the automatic hex spindle nut with the stock locking hubs????
this is going to be a daily driver with little to no off road use
thanks
Buddha

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No, the inside diameter of the manual locking hubs is smaller than the Auto hub housings.

Basically near the rotor end of the auto hub there is a relief cut to chear the rounded hex of the auto-hub nut. that relief cut is absent on the manual hub.

Do you need a "one wheel" set of manual hub nuts?

AD

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nuts

yea i just need them for one wheel.
are you saying the manual hubs wont fit over the auto nuts then without cutting a relief into the hubs??? i have access to a lathe and it seems from the post here that the manual nuts are a pain and the the auto nuts would be easier to use?????
Buddha

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A pull-yer-own junkyard is often a good place to get these nuts for free or very cheap, though you do need to yank them yourself.

Alternatively, you can buy them from Dorman individually, and they aren't THAT expensive. Certainly nowhere near what Warn wants for them.

Use the correct parts or your truck will suffer the same fate again.

Having used both types of nuts on the same truck, the manual ones are better. They can be adjusted considerably more precisely, so you don't have to choose between burning up your wheel bearings and having slightly floppy front wheels (I like them STIFF).

And weakening the hubs is probably not in your best interest. Automatic hubs ratchet the locking mechanism and toast the plastic. Manual hubs break the case. You should avoid making the weakest part weaker.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals