• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

water in my oil????

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
how does water keep on gettin in my oil i change my oil like everymonth ahah and i keep gettin it i got the oil fill cap on but its just a push in pulg and idk how there would be water gettin in if anyone knows let me know please i wanna get this fixed before i take off my heads for valve seal replacing. thank u

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
How much are we talking about here?

Short trips can lead to condensation building up in the crank case, resulting in a bit of milky oil coming out when you drain the oil.

Other than that it can be head gaskets leaking internally.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
not really that bad u can c it when u pull the dip stick out on it all the way to the bottom but i drain the oil and it comes out lookin like just plain ol oil lol idk ill check again next time i change it

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My dad engine is the same way and its a Ford factory rebuilt engine, only has 30,000 miles on it. I think its just normal.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats around the 300,000 plus mile mark. Like all of the older engines, check the oil often and before long trips.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok im gonna change the head gaskets and tightin up the valves and change out the valve seals some time soon maybe that would help is there anything else i should do with the heads off

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check for warpage and cracks that may be on the heads while they are off!!!!!!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Condensation inside the valve cover is entirely NORMAL! It is inside ALL our engines from time to time. When the engine reaches temperature it quickly evaporates the condensation and we NEVER know it was in there.. The ONLY way to find it is zackly what you did... pull the cap on a cold engine and look at the bottom of the cap.. There it will be! Forgetaboutit! Condensation in different weather conditions is NORMAL!
Big JIm

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the cold weather i too have been getting a milky looking stuff at the tip of my dip stick... not from the oil pan but from the tube... its scrapes out this nasty looking stuff at the tip 100% everytime... but i just changed my oil looks fine...

i think i just have a bad condesnation buildup becuase i drive short trips and its been getting cold here in sac as of lately!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
yea thats what i get just on the dip stick but i dont think its in the motor idk im gonna run it for now it dont seen to hurt it

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep i have the exact same thing in my oil......if it was a headgasket you would be getting a whole crap ton more water in there and remember the engine is a giant mixer.....if there was enough if would be all mixed in and frothy lookin

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 83 with 175K it does the same thing. Glad you brought it up so now I don't have to.

kpbrogdon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 (2.8)
Transmission
Automatic
I have know way of knowing if this is truth or myth but I remember hearing years ago in HS Geology that if you mix oils from different manufacturers that you can get that creamy buildup inside the valve covers. I think it had to do with crude oils being different based on where it came from and mixing engine oil made from Texas based crude with that made from Pennsylvania based crude (Pennzoil, Quaker State) is bad.

I recall it made sense to me at the time because I was driving an old beater that I had to add oil to on a weekly basis so I would just buy the cheapest brand from whatever gas station I was at.

Like I said - Could be total BS and I just had a demented geology teacher but I've always made sure to use the same brand/viscosity if I have to top off the oil and the only time I see this now is when I buy used vehicles and haven't changed the oil out yet.

I've also been using synthetic now for several years which might make a difference. Or it might not . . .

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
ive been using it too just cuz they say it stays in the motor and dont go right in to the oil pan and i guess its better for when u start it up too lol thats just what ive heard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals