• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 power improvements

cobrasplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger,b2,150,1
Engine Size
2.8,2.9,360,302A,400A
Transmission
Manual
Where can i get headers for a 4x4 ranger 2.8, what cams are ya running, is it possible to use the 2.9/4.0 clutch upgrade on the 2.8? my 84 currently running 3.08 gears and 4 spd. i got a 87 bII with a 2.9 5spd that i am looking at putting the 5 spd behind the 2.8, i got a 390 holley thats waiting for an offy intake, Still need to do duraspark. But if i get a deal on this dana 44 out of an early bronco that im looking at. ill be ditching the 87 bII 4x4 and the 84 driveline.

bigswede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
summit has edelbrock headers for the 2.8. They`re pricey though. It seems they have been discontinued by edelbrock as they`re not in the current catalog. I have them on my `84 and love them and installation was a breeze. Just be careful to not break off any of your exhaust manifold bolts when ditching the manifolds. I got lucky. I`ve done the duraspark conversion on my 84 as well, a huge inprovement. I`m running a holley 350 2bbl carb. I believe a 4 bbl to be overkill on the 2.8, but it`s your coin. Unsure about the clutch issues, mine`s a C-5 auto.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
You can also (IF you can find them) use the manifolds off a 86 Aerostar 2.8. They are tubular "short" style, and a real improvement over the cast iron monstrosities. You can run the 4.0 flywheel/clutch set-up, but, the downside is that you will lose quite a bit of the quick revving that the 2.8 can do. If you do it anyways, don't forget that you need the 4.0 starter also, as it is specific to the flywheel, and be ready to do a little re-wiring for the starter. I D-sparked my 2.8 the same day that I found the motor, and tossed on the carb from an 83 Cougar 3.8, with the jet from the old 2.8 carb. I have been running this setup for almost 2 years now, and the little 2.8 is a runner set-up like this. Oh. Bump the timing to around 12*, and re-set your idle/mixture on the carb. I got more power AND better MPG out of it. With 31" mud tires, and a 200,000 mile 2.8 turning 3.73 gears, I get a steady 17 miles in town and 22-23 Highway.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
As for gearing, your parts BII should have 3.73's in it. I would DEF. swap the axles over to the Ranger, along with the 5speed. And yes, the 2.9 shares the clutch, starter (HINT), and flywheel with the 2.8. You can also swap the later radiator into your 84 VERY easily... ( I am running the single core from a 1st gen "X" in my 84 with no issues.) Power steerig pump and brackets fit between the 2.8/2.9, AC junk also.

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can also (IF you can find them) use the manifolds off a 86 Aerostar 2.8. They are tubular "short" style, and a real improvement over the cast iron monstrosities. You can run the 4.0 flywheel/clutch set-up, but, the downside is that you will lose quite a bit of the quick revving that the 2.8 can do. If you do it anyways, don't forget that you need the 4.0 starter also, as it is specific to the flywheel, and be ready to do a little re-wiring for the starter. I D-sparked my 2.8 the same day that I found the motor, and tossed on the carb from an 83 Cougar 3.8, with the jet from the old 2.8 carb. I have been running this setup for almost 2 years now, and the little 2.8 is a runner set-up like this. Oh. Bump the timing to around 12*, and re-set your idle/mixture on the carb. I got more power AND better MPG out of it. With 31" mud tires, and a 200,000 mile 2.8 turning 3.73 gears, I get a steady 17 miles in town and 22-23 Highway.
Thank you sir on the info for the carb. Ive been looking at summit and other places and new holley 2bbl carbs are goin for more than 200. Now to find an 83 cougar. You got any pics of your setup Id love to see it.

Thanks
Matt

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Give me a couple of minutes to see what I have over on Photobucket... You can snag the carb of the old Capris, 79-82 Mushtang and LTD, some of the Grandas, just start popping hoods. The biggest thing that you are looking for to ID the carb is on the front corner of the drivers' side of the upper part of the carb. It should say "1.08" on it. This is the right carb to start with. If it says "1.20", wrong one. THAT is for the 302 and bigger motors.

Last edited:

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright. Itll give me an idea of what mine should look like.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Here you go:

This makes a monster improvement in reliabilty over the "silver box" that the Dspark noramly uses.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
well. I guess that I DON'T have the picture of the carb anymore... can you figurre it out from the description, plus looking at the exsisting carb on your truck? I can take another pic., if you need me to (probably not abad idea anyways...).

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice deal with the gm 4 pin. I can get the silver box but Im goin to look into the 4 pin. Less problems with that set up im guessing?

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guess if i would have read the caption on the picture i would have know that the setup was more reliable. Fail goes to me.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I should have posted the 2 posts in the opposite order. As for the HEI module, yeah it is ALOT more reliable, easy to score a replacement for out of a junkyard/ partshouse, and it actually gives a better kick to the dizzy for spark. Whatever you do, if you go this way, MAKE DARN SURE that you use a good heatsink paste on the back of the module, and at least a 12 ga. wire for power, as it is a hog, and can draw enough juice to cook a small power feed. I used the big power feed that was hot with the key in "run". The other one, I simply "capped" off to prevent it from causing any trouble. Oh, one more little thing on the HEI set-up: find a dead "silver box" and cut the plugs off of it. This way you can wire the HEI up as a plug and play to the D-spark wiring. You can get the Dizzy to box harness off ALOT of the old FS Jeeps, like Waggys, trucks, and so on...Fords' of course also, just giving other options in case you want to go wreckingyard shopping.

Last edited:

cobrasplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger,b2,150,1
Engine Size
2.8,2.9,360,302A,400A
Transmission
Manual
anyone install a comp cams or racerwaslh cam in you 2.8

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
I've got one from the UK in mine. It was cut for the Euro-spec Capri 2.8 The only thing that I dislike about it is that it is a mid to high range cam. It works fair, but the BII is quite a bit heavier than the Capri was. Still, the thing is a MONSTER when you get in motion, and it is a rev-happy little beast. I need to research and see if anyone offers more of an RV cut, or am I going to have to go custom cut.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals