• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 no oil pressure!

scoyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looked at a Ranger that the mechanical owner had swapped out a great 2.8 into an 84 replacing the 4 banger. He didn't prudently check out things -just swapped the computer and necessary harness bits--and droppped it in. Then found no oil pressure! Thought something wasn't right with the sender--this is crazy---so put a guage on it and you guessed it--no oil pressure. What could have happened here on an out and in swap. I don't think you can get clearance to remove the pan and check --maybe reach in and drop the pump inside might get it?-I know this will have to come out again--just wondering if anyone has any ideas what might have happened---tube drop off??---scoyote

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Tube could have come off, the oil pump drive rod could have broke or came out of place, the pump may not be getting its prime, a gasket for the oil pump or tube might be bad, the screen could be clogged or the oil pump could be bad.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Installing and/or swapping an engine is quite a bit of work. So I would presume the engine was in reasonable working order when it was installed. Having said that, I would think that the drive from the distributor would be the first place to look. If you yank the dist. you can check the shaft that drives the pump and put a socket on it and turn it and listen to the oil in the bottom and find out if it will pump, because you can hear it.

Eric<><:icon_welder:

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^ Agreed start with the dizzy

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dumb question but when you do a swap you drain the fluid .... did you forget to fill it ... not an insalt just thought we would start with the vary simple and cheep .... next i would see about the distributer like he said and if not it probly got clogged of the tube fell off

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i can tell you from experience you can just take the oil pan off to check everythin. My motor just started knocking and i tried to do just that and needless to say the motor had to come out. But definatly pull the dizzy and try to prime it. If you have to pull the motor and put a pump in, a littly fyi I used a little bit of vasoline packed in the oil pump to make the priming a little easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals