PDA

View Full Version : '99 4.0 5spd man..synchros?

kinda_low
11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I searched a few pages back with nothing close. Maybe this is a rarity that I'm having some trouble with this tranny?...

Anyways this truck has been giving me quite a few problems lately...balljoints, fuel pump, filters, tuneups, iac, maf...

The transmission recently stopped going into gear at all. I was told the slave cylinder was to blame even though no fluid was being lost. I had a buddy who works at a dealership replace it.

Although the trans shifts again it still doesn't like going through the gears smoothly. The worst is 2-3. It doesn't really grind but takes a second to enter the gear. Sometimes it will nick a gear too...but its kinda random which gear will nick.

Also sometimes (more rarely) it will shift smooth as butter, but only for a couple gears.

Could this be the synchros going out? If so how much would it be for a rebuild kit?

BTW the truck is a 1999 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 with 130k. I've never changed the fluid in this trans either...

Thanks for any input! I'm getting kinda burnt out with this truck :beer:

kinda_low
11-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm going to check the fluid in the tranny tomorrow morning, I'm crossing my fingers its the correct fluid. One more thing, in the last couple weeks when leaving from a stop before the clutch is completely out, a sqeeking sound emits I believe from the trans/clutch area that sounds like a tire squeeling. It's somewhat embarrasing, is this something to be worried about?

Thanks for any input trannies are definately not my strong point!

PlumCrazy
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Sounds like what my tranny was doing when the shift forks were be ground down to nothing. I eventually lost 3rd and 4th all together. I pulled the shift plate off and found the gears and syncros to be is perfect shape, but the shift forks were trashed.

-plumcrazy