• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are the late 80's diesel's any good?

351Mazda

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
A guy is wanting to trade a late 80's (forget the year, 87 or so I think) f-250 long bed 4 door diesel with an automatic for my jeep. I figure the jeep is worth about 1500. I heard those old pre-turbo fords were about worthless for anything but a boat anchor, but I don't have much experience with them. Anyone know much about them? I think the truck has dana 60 front, everything seems to work like it's supposed to and it's pretty solid, just the usual body rust we get in ohio. The frame is solid, I don't really care what stuff looks like. Thanks for the advice.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my uncle had one and it wasn't to bad when it finally died it had over 700,000 miles on it. he used it to tow a car trailer and as a dd. imo it was good fine power wise.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Pro's: Cheap parts, simple design, easy to work on, and they got a website as good as TRS to support them.

I would trade in a heartbeat.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
some of the most ridiculosly reliable motors ever made. not a speed racer, but certainly no slouch.

and of course, the excellent ford chassis completes the package. i say go for it!

351Mazda

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I looked at and drove the truck. The glow plugs are out, maybe a wire, who knows there. I didn't look into it too much, I figure it can't be that hard. It's an 88, and it's an f-350, not a 250 like I said. The guy looked at my jeep, he's going to let me know for sure if he wants to do it. If so looks like I'm trading. Thanks for the advice.

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if he says he will do it, go for it. i love my 6.9 and it is getting better mileage than my 7.3 powerstroke. it also pulled better and got better mileage doing it. they sound mean and you can always find a turbo kit for it to get that cool turbo sound.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I have no probs with my 89 crew and its 7.3L.

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
ats builds a turbo kit for both the 6.9 and 7.3 plus theres less electronics then the powerstrokes..... good find either way..

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
stupid simple and reliable. I would trade

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
My 89 7.3 5spd 4x4 gets about 17 mpg around town and taking it easy, but as soon as the trailer is hooked up its 10 mpg no matter how I drive. I haven't checked yet but I am guessing I have 4.10's and my trucks not turbo'd but the pump is turned up.

Arctic_LII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My family's company has a fleet of five 90-91's with the 7.3l. Four of them have the original motors with well over 750k on them and still running fairly strong. Gutless, but I've never seen a better motor. These have been meticulously maintained since the company bought them new. The one that had a motor swap was due to a manufacture defect, I believe. In my opinion, they sound way cooler than the newer PSD's...

Bryan

wvfarmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03 ranger 4.0
Make / Model
99 ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
these are good trucks you might replase a glow plug or a crontroler and a starter once in a while thatb about all i have done and have owned 4 of them have 2 now good trucks

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
we had a new '86 6.9 diesel and had nothing but problems with it. a 2wd F250. traded ut in '89 for a new bronco. id rather have a non-turbo diesel than a turbo equipped one though. weve got 2 oliver tractors and the one with the turbo every 2 years has to have another rebuilt turbo, at 1 grand each. the non-turbo oliver has a broder rpm range (remember, with a turbo the rpms need to be kept within a certian range or it falls on its face) and has been much better on fuel useage. and when the turbo goes out, its mostly unuseable, it will run but smokes badly and is way underpowered. our '86 sufferd from burnt out glow plugs, wouldnt start below 60 degress without glow plugs or the block heater plugged in, it would either get 17 mpg with no power, or with the pump turned up it would get 12 and blow smoke like a tire on fire. we also twice had the gear shift lever come up out of the trans when going from 2nd to 3rd. (creeper first 4 speed) when it did this, both times the trans ended up being in reverse. the first time it did this was on a icy driveway. maybe it was a one-off lemon. but i know dad never considered a diesel in a pickup ever again. he damn near wrote off fords altogther.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I love my 92, My dad says its gutless but it seems like a strong motor, We have the 7.3 non turbo and the only problems we are having are trying to get it going in -10 degree weather... Newish batteries should fix that. And yes the do sound awesome! deisels are exempt from emissions and many didn't come with cats i dont think... atleast ours didn't. I put a glass pack on it... Sounds Beastly!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals