• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have no fast idle speed......WHY?

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is starting to get cold and either my choke is shot or something else is wrong. The manual is confusing to say the least because it contridicts itself:

"The fast idle speed, at engine start-up, is controlled by the mechanical cam and adjustment screw." "...The EEC IV system precisely cntrols the rpm, and elimianates the need for idle and fast-idle speed adjustments"

PLEASE HELP............it won't run worth a crap I have to sit there and hold the throttle at ~2500 RMP manually every morning.

84 Ranger
2.8 V6
Carter 2150 Carb
5-speed
4WD
Just turned 200,000 miles

Thanks in advance

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Might be your choke going out on you. My dads has a manual choke, which we fixed today. In the cold without touching the gas and putting it on full choke it would start up and idle high but as soon as you touched the gas it wouldn't idle high anymore. Had a car with an auto choke that was the same way but didnt have a computer controled carb. on it like the rangers do.

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the choke assembly.....same issue.

I also went thru the process of disconnecting the ISC motor and adjusting it's position till the truck was idling @2000 RPM (as suggested by the guy at the parts house) then reconnected the ISC and idle promptly went back to ~1000 RMP (this is as low as I can get it to idle).

While the ISC was disconnected, I manually put it on the high-idle cam and adjusted that to a setting of ~2500RPM (3000 seems so high).

I did all of this last night and this AM it still wouldn't go on high idle.

What is involved with going from auto choke to manual choke??

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Well the carb we got already had manual choke on it when we pulled it from a ranger. Just need to hook a choke cable to the choke assembly to make it a manual choke, how you do it is up to you.

My 2.8 on the other hand doesnt use a carb. and starts right up everytime.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speaking from experience, the auto choke and fast idle is not to big a deal if every thing is there. There is an assembly on the passenger side of the carb. that sets the fast idle when you press the throttle to the floor before starting it. The choke has to be fully closed for it to catch. Chances are the fast idle speed adjustment screw is screwed it to far and won't let the mechanism catch. You just have to have a cold engine and pull the air cleaner off and watch carefully as you reach over the carb and push the throttle all the way back and see why it is not catching on the fast idle. If, when you push the throttle all the way open the choke does not snap down (this is what sets the fast idle) then the choke is either out of adjustment or the spring is worn all the way through (like mine ) where it contacts the butterfly lever. If the choke is out of adjustment, just loosen the three or so screws that allow you to move the black bakalite or plastic electric housing one way or the other so that it snaps down when the throttle is depressed. Once you get it to where the butterfly drops, the fast idle catches, you need to adjust the screw on the back of the "choke pull off" so the choke comes off of fully closed when the engine starts. It needs about a 1/4 inch of open to keep the engine running on fast idle. Then adjust the fast idle speed to what ever the factory says or what you like. I was able to figure out mine just by looking at what was there and trying to figure out the sequence of events.

Eric<><

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This may sound like a stupid question but with everything being fuel injected these days many people are unfamiliar with starting carbed motors. Are you flooring the gas to set the choke before you try to start it?

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have to say, I did take it for granted that the "Poster" was pressing the throttle all the way to the floor on a cold engine to set the choke and fast idle in place......................

Eric<><

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speaking from experience, the auto choke and fast idle is not to big a deal if every thing is there. There is an assembly on the passenger side of the carb. that sets the fast idle when you press the throttle to the floor before starting it. The choke has to be fully closed for it to catch. Chances are the fast idle speed adjustment screw is screwed it to far and won't let the mechanism catch. You just have to have a cold engine and pull the air cleaner off and watch carefully as you reach over the carb and push the throttle all the way back and see why it is not catching on the fast idle. If, when you push the throttle all the way open the choke does not snap down (this is what sets the fast idle) then the choke is either out of adjustment or the spring is worn all the way through (like mine ) where it contacts the butterfly lever. If the choke is out of adjustment, just loosen the three or so screws that allow you to move the black bakalite or plastic electric housing one way or the other so that it snaps down when the throttle is depressed. Once you get it to where the butterfly drops, the fast idle catches, you need to adjust the screw on the back of the "choke pull off" so the choke comes off of fully closed when the engine starts. It needs about a 1/4 inch of open to keep the engine running on fast idle. Then adjust the fast idle speed to what ever the factory says or what you like. I was able to figure out mine just by looking at what was there and trying to figure out the sequence of events.

Eric<><
Im glad I looked on this post before i posted my own. I get fast idle in the mornings but mine idles at over 2k once it smooths out and its just uncomfortable for me. The old EEC 4 stuff is worn out and the spark advanced wont change. So I have some slight spark knock. And with no load and 2k she sounds like shes goin to blow. So ive been needing to see how to adjust the fast idle and you sir answered my question. Thank you.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals