• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8l efi swap

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
So i'm planning on doing a tbi swap on my old 2.8L and have most of everything i need expect knowing how to plumb the fuel return to the dual tanks. If anyone would have any idea please let me know. My idea was to use a inline frame hi psi pump and then some sort of selector to send return fuel to the proper tank and use that insert for the filler neck on jegs at both necks. thanx - mike

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry i can't help with your question, but, please do a thread of your conversion with pics as i'm wanting to do something like that with my 2.8 next year.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Visit my thread if you want to see a TBI swap on a 2.8 liter strvger.

As for a cheap return lie, get brake line, we did that to my dads, which we didnt get the TBI working right on his due to to much fuel pressure, but the metal brake line costed 6 bucks for a 6ft piece. He used the biggest the part store had as far as inner diameter, its still on his truck despite its not being used.......at the moment.

As for the selector thing your dad has in mind I htink you should do it and post how to do that if somebody else wants to do that to their truck with two tanks. But for the moment I would run one tank to get it running then try for two tanks, just IMO.

My dad wants to see another person do this to their truck. Where you the person that wa going to try a manual tranny computer on the TBI system, and if so post how well it works and what it does my dad wants to know, I think hes getting tired of the carb set-up giving him 10-12 miles to the gallon no matter what he does to adjust it.

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
yea the fuel lines will be cake. its just the fact that i got to go buy all this extra stuff just cuz i got two tanks, if i had one tank then it would be a breeze. I did want to use a manual ecu but idk if i would ever find one at the junk yard- i've been hunting for the wiring harness and tbi forever and finally in one day found 2 so i took the tbi from one and the non-hacked up harness from the other.

I got a few other things on the " to do" list like rebuild a 2stroke dirt bike engine i blew up reciently, and get a lil bit more campin and wheeln in before it gets cold but i see this swap taking place before the new year, hopefully if work continues to stay busy.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The only place you may find a manual ecu is the parts store and they want an arm and a leg for it.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Used ECU note: This site can help you find the right part number:
http://www.fordecu.com/finditfast/default.asp
Look at the prices, then scout the 'net. I had problems getting the right one until I knew the correct part number (the one in the truck when I bought it was wrong). I bought one from someone here on the list and my truck barely ran. A wrong one from the junk yard allowed me to run, but not pass smog in California. I finally found the correct number and all is well. Yours may run with whatever you have laying around; performance may vary.
I suspect many Rangers get converted to DuraSpark or get junked because of the computers.
About the only thing to add is don't touch the contacts with your hands or anything as it may damage the circuits.

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
After alot of research i have found that since i dont wana use a in-tank pump i will need to run my lines from each tank to the selector switch for efi then run a line to a low psi pump then into an accumulator and then into the high psi pump and up the the fuel inlet.
I found an awsome old bronco web site that has most of this stuff relative cheap and since the older broncos used two tanks and alot of people have been doing efi with then, I see no reason why I will not be able to do this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals