• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 pulleys

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking to get rid of un-needed crap and reduce rotating mass at the same time.

My 87 2.9 used to have AC, but I removed it all and changed the heater box out too. Can I un-bolt the third pulley from the crank shaft? As I recall this has four little bolts and comes right off. What about on the water pump? There is a third now un-used pulley there too, but I recall that this one is spot welded together with the other two on there that are still used. Does it come off or do I need to go to jy and get a non-AC truck water pump pulley?

np24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the ac part of the crank pulley comes off, but as far as i've seen, all the water pump pulleys are the same with the ac grove. i wouldn't worry about it.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the ac part of the crank pulley comes off, but as far as i've seen, all the water pump pulleys are the same with the ac grove. i wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks, and I'll have to look next time at jy anyways. Apparently my memory is way off tonight. :D

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Removed the AC pulley on the crank, four 1/2" bolts and two small prybars. That sucker must weigh at least 2 lbs! Looks like the one on the water pump is spot welded together...thought about using a good file, remove the fan, start the engine and use it like a lathe to cut off the outer front pulley groove...LOL...I know that would be dangerous and I'm not going to do it. Will check jy, wish I had a real lathe! :)

reagd

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking to get rid of un-needed crap and reduce rotating mass at the same time.

My 87 2.9 used to have AC, but I removed it all and changed the heater box out too. Can I un-bolt the third pulley from the crank shaft? As I recall this has four little bolts and comes right off. What about on the water pump? There is a third now un-used performance pulleys there too, but I recall that this one is spot welded together with the other two on there that are still used. Does it come off or do I need to go to jy and get a non-AC truck water pump pulley?
I just read that all the water pump pulleys are the same but never knew that it comes with an ac grove.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Both of mine and all I've seen have a 3 groove waterpump pulley. The front groove is for AC....the other two for alternator and PS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals