• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

smash that pos electric motor

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger with the automatic t-case that some times works and sometimes dont so i took the motor off when it stuck in 4low. Smashed it and took the ring gear out of the shift motor. Now when i need 4wd i roll under and put the ring gear where belongs and then i twist. Remove the gear and enjoy. Thats the poor mans fix.

Last edited:

johnnymo08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
thats funny, but what ring are you doing that with? i have taken the electric motor apart (bad idea i thought) and i did see where it said 4hi 4low blah blah blah on that white circle plate but how do you manually change it?

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the gear that is shaped like a circle on the head of the motor it has a triangle shape in the center of it. put it where the motor was when you need 4wd and now your the motor, just twist

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I did that for a while:D before I took my motor apart and cleaned the motor and contact disc, and brushes.I got tired of having to have some one else around to push the brake and clutch in to shift it into low range. I was the same way about my motor. But now that I took my time to understand why it fails, and how they work they're not so bad. It's cleaned and works without flaw. The secret to avoid it not shifting is to use it. Just shift it every once and a while into each range. 9 times out of 10 The factory grease hardens on the contact disc not allowing the brushes to contact properly, if it doesn't know where it is the controller goes into fail safe mode,and it won't shift.

johnnymo08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
How do you turn the triangle shaped thingy though? Wrench or with a part of a motor.....I just put a new motor in mine but am still curious

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On mine once the shift motor is out there is a pointer that you can turn with a pair of pliers.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do you turn the triangle shaped thingy though? Wrench or with a part of a motor.....I just put a new motor in mine but am still curious
use either the large gear on the motor or a pair of pliers but be careful if you use pliers it can hurt the shifter on the t-case and it will be difficult to put a new motor on

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
or you can buy my complete transfer with working motor for 75 bucks...sweet deal

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 94 ranger with the automatic t-case that some times works and sometimes dont so i took the motor off when it stuck in 4low. Smashed it and took the ring gear out of the shift motor. Now when i need 4wd i roll under and put the ring gear where belongs and then i twist. Remove the gear and enjoy. Thats the poor mans fix.

And I thought getting out to lock the hubs in was a pain sometimes.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals