• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'86 B2, Hesitation during acceleration at high rpm

shibbershabber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For example, at highway speeds, I can go from 55 to 85 pretty well at 1/3 throttle... with in that same speed range, if I 3/4 throttle it or floor it, it will start out fine but midway it just cuts out, I have to back off on the accelerator and its all better,.

i am also noticing that it wont downshift when I jump on it, like when passing, etc.

Could these two be related?

Let me know what you think!

thanks
Brian

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
some info on your truck would be good to know, kinda hard to help you when we dont knoe what you driving!!

kris

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe starving for fuel... possibly a dirty fuel filter.

Kaiserhsoze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine did a similar thing today. I got on the freeway but when I put the pedal down, over halfway that is, my RPMs hit the floor and I lost all acceleration- I actually started slowing down. I limped off the freeway to a Kragen and put some injector cleaner in my primary tank thinking something was gummed up. After two miles of occasionally having power when I give it gas and not having power, it dies. It smelled like I had just injecot cleaner in the tank, so I switched over to my second tank, and after the cleaner worked its way through, got going again. I kept up the power/no power cycle for ten miles or so before I got off the road- too many people backed up behind me. I left the car and had my wife pick me up. Three-four hours later I start it up and drive it home without issue. The guys at Autozone said it was probably the fuel filter, and since it was less than ten bucks I grabbed on. I will put it on tomorrow, but I wanted to know if anyone thinks there is somehting else I should be looking at. I bought it used last January and it still won't pass smog, nox is too high. I still need to put new catalytic converts on. I replaced the O2, spark plugs, plug wires, and head gaskets (blown head gasket). Its a 1986 2.9 v6 5 speed manual single cab with two gas tanks. Any suggestions would be helpful.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me like the Ignition module on the distributer (TFI), she only started again after she was cold, once she gets warm she starts fouling up. Get a new module, and the tool to remove the thing, its tough without it, and make sure to put dielectric grease between the new module and the dizzy. There is a sticky or something in the tech library i think somewhere...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals