• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual locking hubs

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have recently upgraded my auto locking hubs on my truck to the more reliable manual locking hubs. I've noticed that the hubs get warm and it doesn't matter if they are locked in or not. Is this normal or do I have the inner lock nuts to tight?

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I have recently upgraded my auto locking hubs on my truck to the more reliable manual locking hubs. I've noticed that the hubs get warm and it doesn't matter if they are locked in or not. Is this normal or do I have the inner lock nuts to tight?

The warmth wouldn't be from the hubs. I'd check the wheel bearing preload like you suggested.

(A little warmth is normal at highway speeds.)

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The hubs aren't hot, I can grab them and not burn myself. I followed the directions in the tech library that Chris Emmons submitted. He said to tighten it to 16 inch pounds but like to tighten then up a little more because of larger tires, sometimes up to 1/4 turn. That on mine torqued it back to 35 foot pounds and that is where I left it.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
maybe youre on the brakes alot and its just heat transfer from brake useage. i have this, think maybe my calipers may be sticking some.
________
vapir no2 vaporizer

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
They are going to get warm. Anytime you use the brakes you will create heat. The hub is touching the rotor and though conduction the hub body will get warm also. This is normal. If it is getting too hot to touch or the lockout is melting then you have a brake that is hanging up.

Matt

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The hubs aren't hot, I can grab them and not burn myself. I followed the directions in the tech library that Chris Emmons submitted. He said to tighten it to 16 inch pounds but like to tighten then up a little more because of larger tires, sometimes up to 1/4 turn. That on mine torqued it back to 35 foot pounds and that is where I left it.
That's WAAYY too much.

16 inch-lbs is all they need. Anything more is asking for them to burn up & disintegrate.

The OUTER locknut should get torqued down real tight though (225-250 ft-lbs)

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's right. You don't need significant preload on the bearings. The reason for the 16 in-lb spec is to get the play out. 16 in-lb is a little more than you would expect from the inside bearing seal alone. It's the same spec as the differential pinions. Opposed cone bearings need the play removed, but don't need preload beyond that.

When you do preload them, that translates to friction. Very much like dragging the brakes.

So, I strongly suggest repacking the bearings (correctly, this time), and you may need four new ones.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I re torqued the hubs yesterday and when I drove it today they didn't get no way near as hot. I just hand tightened them this time. I had to back them off more than a quarter of a turn, like the instructions say, before I re tightened them.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
did you reinspect them and repack them too? even though you fixed the problem, the bearings may already be damaged. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
did you reinspect them and repack them too? even though you fixed the problem, the bearings may already be damaged. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I didn't really drive my truck much between then and now. They seemed to fine. After I put the tires back on I checked for wheel wobble also. I can really tell a difference, the wheels spun more freely.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals