• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new truck, questions bout '79 bko

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well i found an old 79 Bronco, with a 351modified big block for $400
she has a rear engine oil seal, the guy who is selling told me that you haul off the base pan and slide the seal out through? i know nothing at all about this, so could i please get some help and i dont even know what to look for when i get the base pan off, i dont even know what an oil seal looks like ;brownbag;, and are these really sasd? thanks

now i just need a way to drag it home :shok:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yea youll probably want pics i forgot lol

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are not sasd--they came with a solid axle if it's a '79. I can't tell from a picture if it's really a '79. I know it's not a 1921 Oldsmobile.

I can scan complete instructions for you later. The tranny and flywheel have to come off. The pan has to drop quite a bit. The rear main cap has to come off. You make a little tool to roll the top half of the seal out using the oil feed hole. I've done it in cars through a pretty small slot.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
They are not sasd--they came with a solid axle if it's a '79. I can't tell from a picture if it's really a '79. I know it's not a 1921 Oldsmobile.

I can scan complete instructions for you later. The tranny and flywheel have to come off. The pan has to drop quite a bit. The rear main cap has to come off. You make a little tool to roll the top half of the seal out using the oil feed hole. I've done it in cars through a pretty small slot.
thanks and the seller said its a 79 and he said you only gotta drop the base pain for the oil seal?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well sorry but i buddy of my brothers told me he had a 351 in his f150 and the Modified 351s are big blocks

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No I'm not making fun of you or anything, I'm just pointing out a common misconception. The 351-400 modified engines are more of a mild block. A.K.A-BOAT ANCHOR. A guy I used to work with was braggin about his chevy caprice how it had a 350 big block and a 350 turbo trans. I was laughing so hard.....

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
big-mild-small whats the difference lol

on te bright side..
one of my buddys that i hadnt seen in over a year came in to my work last night just as i was closeing down, i nearly shit my pants. hes 22 and was gone away for work and didnt tell nobody he was coming, so i was glad to see him, and hopefully he wants to go get a bronco!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The base pan, which I call an oil pan, has to come down enough to get the rear main bearing cap off. And I take it back, you don't need to take the tranny out. I don't know WTF I was thinking. After the pan is off, the rear main cap has to be removed. In the cap will be half of the seal. Then you push the other half around out of the block. Reverse order to reinstall.

While it's apart it might be a good time to slide in some new bearings if the journals look okay. That's what you need the tool I mention for. It's make from a nail, you slip it in the crank oiling holes so just the head is protruding--trimmed to a little less than the thickness of the bearing insert--then roll the engine to push the top half of the main bearing out. Repeat to reinstall. You can do the rod bearings as well. If the oil pressure is a little weak this will give you a few more tens of thousands of miles.

One other thing, make sure the valve cover breather is clear. If it's getting clogged with yuck--which can happen on an old engine that's getting a little blow-by past the rings--the pressure in the crankcase can start pushing past seals.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thank you very much man, thats a great help, do you think me and a buddy could get it done in a day?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
A guy I used to work with was braggin about his chevy caprice how it had a 350 big block and a 350 turbo trans. I was laughing so hard.....
please tell me you slapped him.:icon_rofl:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What would be a huge help is those plastic guides that screw into the block, and the gasket/pan slides over them, which locks them into place. Won't be so much of a fight putting it back together against gravity (IMO). I still cringe at the thought of trying to do this from under the truck! :D

Pete

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What would be a huge help is those plastic guides that screw into the block, and the gasket/pan slides over them, which locks them into place. Won't be so much of a fight putting it back together against gravity (IMO). I still cringe at the thought of trying to do this from under the truck! :D

Pete
never heard of them?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals