• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd conversion to 4x4

1996DANGERRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my trans is junk. its gonna cost me like 700 bucks to get it fixed. so i was wondering one if a 4banger trans can even bolt to a 4.0V6 and can you easily change the tail shaft to make it 4x4

any help will be appreciated

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
4 cyls have a different bell housing pattern than v6s. To convert a 2wd trans to a 4wd, not only do you have to swap tail housings, you also have to swap the output shaft, which requires disassembling the entire trans.

Redneck1912

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Not only do you have to swap the tail housing you will need to change the entire front end(front diff.,spindles,I-beams,etc)

GOOD LUCK

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4cyl trans will not bolt up to a 4.0L V6. As for a 4wd conversion. You'd need to decide how much work you'd like to do. You'd need a 4wd trans, and also you'd need a transfer case. To change tailhouses, you'd need to disassemble the trans to swap output shafts, just easier to find a 4wd trans. Secondly depending on what you intend to use the 4wd for, you'd have to decide, SAS, or stock. Next once you've done that, you'd need to swap the front engine crossmember out for a 4wd one. At this point a 4wd rolling chasis would be just easier, and swap your body and powertrain on to it. You'd need quite a few parts, and some time depending on your skill level to complete the swap.

ati190

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals