• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I dont know where to post this

jml32788

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 4x4 manual ranger, It has a few problems with it. Whenever i turn the heat on the rpms jump up to 2500rpm... Can anyone help me with that?

Also whenever it rains, i flick on my lights and the left turn signal comes on and stays on (doesnt blink). And even when the truck is off and the lights arnt on when i hit the break the parking lights come on and the headlights come on very dimmly. I know its a short circuit somewhere but i dont know where to look.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The RPMs going up when you turn your heat on is due to the AC compressor coming on, and the PCM opens up the IAC valve to compensate for the additional load.

Check the ground connections on your back left brake/running light. It's a dual filament bulb, and without the ground, current is flowing from the brake circuit into the lights circuit.

jml32788

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank for the help, but im still confused on the RPM thing. why would it jump up to 2500 rpm. Do i have a stuck IAC valve? or a cloged vacum tube? any thing u can suggest i check?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The IAC could have a problem, 2500 RPMs is way high. Has it thrown a CEL?

jml32788

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Im not sure what a CEL is, but everything still runs and works fine, theres no weird smell coming from the vents, gas mileage is still fine, its just when i push in the clutch the rpms get stuck at 2500-3000. sometimes when i come to a complete stop it will drop back down to idle. But only sometimes

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Im not sure what a CEL is, but everything still runs and works fine, theres no weird smell coming from the vents, gas mileage is still fine, its just when i push in the clutch the rpms get stuck at 2500-3000. sometimes when i come to a complete stop it will drop back down to idle. But only sometimes
I'm sorry, a CEL is a Check Engine Light.

jml32788

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
No, theres no lights on

sonicboom919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV - Vulcan!
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem when the air conditioner is on...i have read on other forums that the problem is a gunked up IAC, and that you need to give it a cleaning and all that crap to help the problem. I havent seen any people put this problem on forums until about 3 weeks ago, and now it's all over the place...on all different year rangers...hmm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals