• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

way over heated bronco II

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok my rough truck is getting over heated. i have always had this problem since i have had it. i run 50/50 antifreeze so its not that. i took the thermostat out and that helped. i run an electric fan from the front of the radiator. it was running right at 200 all last season. so this year i got a radiator from a 91 explorer with the 3.0 in it. bigger radiator, so i thought it would help. now i took it for a spin tonight and it is running 230 when i got it back. it doesnt have water in the oil nor vise versus. the only thing i can think of is the head is cracked and letting compression in. i dont want to spend a lot of money on it. so i need a cheap, easy fix that will last awhile. i was thinking about some stop leak to hopefully patch it for awhile.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Dont use stop leaks, they may clog up your cooling system. Ive been told that radiator hoses colaps and cause over heating, or your water pump might be bad. Or (i doubt it) your temp guage is lieing.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the hoses are new and i have popped the hood and the hoses are not collapsed. the water pump is a possibility. i will check it thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The thermostat acts as a restriction giving the coolant some hang time in the radiator to dissapate heat. Without it, it cycles thru the radiator and back into the engine quickly and isn't given as much time as it should to pass off heat.

I have heard the earlier 2.8's with the thermostat in the lower position has a special fill process to prevent air bubbles which will mess with you too.

ranger1911

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have heard the earlier 2.8's with the thermostat in the lower position has a special fill process to prevent air bubbles which will mess with you too.
They do... However, I don't know what it is since my sticker under the hood is all worn off and I can't read it. :sad:

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Did you flush the radiator you put in when you installed it, being it came from a JY and who knows how long it sat there? May just be build up restriction from the get go that was never cleared.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
Something else you may want to look at as at one point I had some of the same troubles. The 2.8 can have a thermostat in either the lower position or where the upper radiator hose goes into the water neck on the intake manifold. When I bought mine it had two thermostats in it and one was installed backwards.

On the hose collaps issues, you would need to make sure that your rig is at operating temp. and run the engine up to a cruising RPM because normally the hoses don't collaps at idle. Also, you should check to see if the lower radiator hose has the spring installed in it whick will keep the hose from collapsing.

You could also run down to you local parts house and rent a cooling system pressure tester which would tell you if you cooling system has any leaks. Hope this helps you get your rig running right, and keep us posted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals