• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I've got a gremlin!

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Every so often my CEL lights up. Always camshaft position circuit fault.

The first time it happened I checked out the mechanical condition of the sensor just to be safe. No play in the shaft, no loose retaining screws, no busted off flag, no timing problem, even cut the oil filter and checked for metal. All kosher. Rechecked several times since.

But checking the sensor, found no problem. Checking the wiring found no problem. I have good continuity from the sensor to the ecu on both wires no matter how much I wiggle them, if its hot, cold, wet, dry, etc. No loose pins in either plug. Everything checks out.

The light always comes on in the same manner. Right when I start up the engine will hesitate for just a fraction of a second, and then go right back to normal. CEL lights up either right then, or a few minutes later, but always after hesitating on startup. Hot start, cold start, no difference.

Sometimes it'll be weeks with no problem. My longest stretch so far is 5 months of nothing. But once it lights up once, it seems to come in waves, and it'll keep coming on for a week or so. I can let it clear on its own, or I can clear it with a reader and it'll stay gone for at least a day.

I threw a sensor at it to see what would happen, no change.

WTF?

Last edited:

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be a bad PCM. Could be a lot of other things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals