• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

True duals

rangermx25

Reaction score
Can i put true duals on my 99 ford ranger v6? I already have a flomaster 40 muffler and i was wanting to put true duals on it. How much louder would it be if i did?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
well, first off, for *true duals* your going to need a second muffler, a new set of headers, another set of catalytic converters, and alot more piping. In other words, alot more money.

The *looks* would be nice, sound quality... should be alright. You won't have the deep rumble that a V8 does. As for volume? Couldn't tell you for certain.

You can do like I did, and get a single inlet-dual outlet muffler. It gives you the look of duals, and it sounds relatively decent. Keeps you from having to replace your headers, and your not buying extra catalytic converters and another new muffler. Its decently loud, not so much at idle... but when I'm going down the road.. you can hear me coming. I'm running Magnaflow on my truck though, can't tell you for certain what the flowmaster would be like.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you dont need to touch the manifolds to run duals.

ford got weird with their cat converter setup in the newer trucks. some vehicles had up to 4 cat converters. you may be able to use 2 universal cats, eliminating all the stock units, and still please your post-cat o2 sensor. or you may be able to use some combo of the stock cats and an additional universal cat.

keep in mind that modifying, moving, or eliminating any of the stock cats is "technically" illegal, and you will fail a visual inspection if they do them in your area. but as long as you keep a set of cats on it, you're smog levels wont change (to settle your conscience).

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I replaced both stock cats on my Ranger with a single magnaflow so called *high-flow* cat and it still passes emissions tests easily. I dunno how it is in other states, but in MO as long as you have at least one Cat (unless your running true duals..then its two) and you pass emissions, your ok. Or at least thats how the inspectors treat it *shrug*

Just to be safe though, I'd leave the Cats alone if your not sure about the laws in your area.

Just to be clear, when I say headers, I'm talking about the first bit of exhaust piping that comes from the exhaust manifold down to the Cat. Unless I'm mistaken (correct me if I am.. I'm still learning proper terminology for this stuff) thats the "Header" part of the exhaust line. For *true duals* as I understand it, they would have to be modified or replaced to run the true dual configuration.

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just to be clear, when I say headers, I'm talking about the first bit of exhaust piping that comes from the exhaust manifold down to the Cat.
i'd call that the down pipe. not sure if thats the right name though but the header(exhaust manifold) bolts to the block of the engine.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I replaced both stock cats on my Ranger with a single magnaflow so called *high-flow* cat and it still passes emissions tests easily. I dunno how it is in other states, but in MO as long as you have at least one Cat (unless your running true duals..then its two) and you pass emissions, your ok. Or at least thats how the inspectors treat it *shrug*
i said nothing about the sniffer test. as long as all of your exhaust goes through a cat, you'll pass the sniffer. there are some states that visually inspect the exhuast system and will fail you if your vehicle doesnt have the stock number of cats and in the stock location.

and what i meant by "technically" illegal is the fact that its against FEDERAL law to change the number or location of the cats.

i'd call that the down pipe.
and you'd be right.

and you dont need to replace the down pipe either. just cut them off before the y-pipe and weld your new duals onto the downpipes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals