• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Xenon Bulbs

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just ordered new headlights and was thinking about switching over to Xenon bulbs. Do they produce more light than the regular bulbs or is the only difference the color? Do you need projector housings like you do with HID kits?

cajunman87

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If your wanting those Xenon bulbs from autozone or ebay they are just a direct bulb swap, the glass on the bulb is blue and that is what gives it the blue color, its not much if any brighter than your stock halogens. If you want that big difference in color and intensity you need to drop in a set of HIDs in your truck. You don't need to have projector housings for HIDs but it makes the beam a lot more focused, and you won't blind other drivers.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
= sucky and crappy.

HIDs for the mother fuking win!!!!

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yep hologen xenon are outta the game now. Go for HID Conversion Kit, way more light output and less draw from the battery. You would need the 9007 Bi-xenon Hid Conversion kit for the 93 rangers. They run around $100 +/- on ebay, there is just plug and play. You wont regret it, especially with new headlights!

Last edited:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to run HID's but I also dont want projector style headlights and I dont really want to run HID's without any kind of projector system so i guess im just stuck with halogens for now.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I want to run HID's but I also dont want projector style headlights and I dont really want to run HID's without any kind of projector system so i guess im just stuck with halogens for now.
:icon_confused: HID look awsome without projectors also man... I have HIDz on my 4-Banger and my Grand Marquis too, they're awsome dude! Ive seen a couple of blue halogen out there but they just dont match up for nothing. But who am I to say what to use, either way you go they will standout more than stock lights... Later.:icon_thumby:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the HIDs do look really cool but i dont want to run them without projectors. i dont want them to blind all the other cars going the opposite way.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the HIDs do look really cool but i dont want to run them without projectors. i dont want them to blind all the other cars going the opposite way.
Aight. Post sum pics after the install to see the results man.:icon_thumby:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
As another driver on the road, Thank you.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
As another driver on the road, Thank you.
x2

I hate when idiots drive around with HID's in the stock headlights. It also drives me nuts when people "fail to dim", If I was a cop I would be handing out tickets for assholes that think its "ok" to drive around with their brights on.

And yes, you can get a ticket for driving around with your brights and or aftermarket lights on. Look it up.

When people drive past me with their brights on they have to suffer the wrath of my high beams, lowbeams and four PIAA lights, two are 85watts and the other two are 55watts. :dunno:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When people drive past me with their brights on they have to suffer the wrath of my high beams, lowbeams and four PIAA lights, two are 85watts and the other two are 55watts. :dunno:
now that is something i need to do. having people drive around with blinding lights is the thing that ticks me off more than any other thing.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
now that is something i need to do. having people drive around with blinding lights is the thing that ticks me off more than any other thing.
Yeah, it looks like the sun comes up when I turn everything on. :icon_thumby:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I find that hid's do not have much glare when the housing have a 'dome' over the bulb. If there's no dome, there tends to be massive amounts of glare. LOTS of those aftermarket housings do not have the dome, and nor does all the hondas. Notice all factory reflector housing HID'd from the factory have those domes? Prius, Escalade, Mustang, etc...

It is ultimately your choice. I ahte the stupid people who blind me too...put HID's in the wrong style housing. I just know that I'll never have halogens in any vehicle of mine ever again...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals