• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4ld almost dead?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
so about 6 months ago the OD stopped working on the transmission. This week the transmission is starting to hesitate and clunking after putting it into gear and letting the truck roll. roll a foot hesitate clunk roll a foot and so on.

Not every time once out of 20. stepping on the gas solves the problem and its in both forward and reverse. and its not the engine its idling fine.

So am I seeing the signs of death on this tranny and should I be taking the one out of my donor truck soonish?

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Change the fluid and filter first. May be nothoing. How many miles?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the fluid and filter a month after the OD failed. The truck has 269,000 on it now, I couldn't tell you if the transmission is original/rebuilt or not.

After the fluid and filter was changed the OD came back for a brief visit for about a hour and left again.

It doesn't slip at all. Dropping it into reverse from drive or from reverse to drive can make a loud clunk but not always.

I'm not going to be terribly upset if the tranny is dying. I mostly need to know if it IS dying or not. This is the first automatic I've owned in 15 years so I know little about them.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it lasted 269K then consider yourself lucky! That would be amazing. But yeah, it's not uncommon for A4LD's to take a dump. Manual tranny swap time!

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I managed to get some lift time and found and solved my issues that I thought were tranny issues.

Apparently, the rear u joint had gone bad and was the cause of the weird clunking noises and hesitation as it bound up at low speeds. One of the caps had busted.

I actually have 2 spare u joints in the cab so replacing it took only 30 mins or so.

The rear differential still clunks when you put it into gear forward or reverse and the wheels spin very easy, I am wondering if it is also worn out?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals