• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap 2.8 performance???

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i bought my 1985 2.8 automatic ranger at the end of summer last year and have had no trouble at all from the 2.8 but i wish it had a little more power. I'm not really looking to go too drastic on upgrades so any suggestions? I'm running 235 75 R15's on the back and 205 75 R15's on the front and have been thinking about going with 205's or 215's all the way around. Is that a good idea?

Also i've been reading on threads about duraspark conversions but i really have no clue what it is:dntknw: so can anybody help me out?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The duraspark ignition conversion in combination with an alternate carb allows you to eliminate all of the factory feedback controlled carburetor mess. By federal law it's not emissions legal, but state enforcement will dictate how that effects you. The typical 2.8 performance route involves the Duraspark swap along with the Offenhauser manifold, Holley 390 four barrel carb, a good cam (Comp Cams does or at least did make several grinds) and headers (Pacesetter used to make them, not sure on current status).

If I remember correctly there is an issue with the A4LD that needs to be addressed when eliminating the computer control. Somebody else can clarify what that is - I durasparked an '84 with the TK5 manual transmission.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The duraspark ignition conversion in combination with an alternate carb allows you to eliminate all of the factory feedback controlled carburetor mess. By federal law it's not emissions legal, but state enforcement will dictate how that effects you. The typical 2.8 performance route involves the Duraspark swap along with the Offenhauser manifold, Holley 390 four barrel carb, a good cam (Comp Cams does or at least did make several grinds) and headers (Pacesetter used to make them, not sure on current status).

If I remember correctly there is an issue with the A4LD that needs to be addressed when eliminating the computer control. Somebody else can clarify what that is - I durasparked an '84 with the TK5 manual transmission.
Most people run a Holley 350 or a non feedback MC 1250 carb on the stock intake with a duraspark swap. I don't think the offy intake is available new anymore, so you will have to track down a used one if someone beats you to fastpackr's.

With my '86 A4LD I still have all four gears but I don't have torque converter lockup, I don't do much highway driving with it so I don't worry about it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I initially ran mine with a 1.08 ventury Motorcraft 2150. Switched to the Offy/390 combo after a rebuild, but by that time the project had dragged out so long that I'd basically lost interest in it. Sold off pretty much everything but the carb and intake in one shot for something like $500.

I just checked - Racer Walsh still has the Offenhauser intake on their site HERE, but they want a lot for it - well over $500 including the water neck. I reduced mine to $150 earlier today, so it's less than a third of the new price and has been hand ported. I'd even throw in the carb as a bundle for $250 shipped if somebody wanted it.

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
with the duraspark and carb and intake installed would the truck still be reliable?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yes, absolutely. It's a factory ignition system from a few years earlier, and the MC 2150 is basically a simplified version of the feedback carb you've already got.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with the duraspark and carb and intake installed would the truck still be reliable?
Still?

I just did the ignition part of it so far and it is much better than it was stock. Vast improvement IMO. I have a different non feedback carb I am going to try on it that should improve it even more.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
DuraSpark is very reliable and we used to convert points Fords to DuraSpark all the time. The only reason they aren't still used by Ford is the emissions. (A new computer controlled fuel injection is better)
If I could do it, I would - but I'm in California. If your laws allow it, do it. Incidentally, I did see a Ranger running well with DuraSpark and the original carb, but I don't know the full history.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DuraSpark is very reliable and we used to convert points Fords to DuraSpark all the time. The only reason they aren't still used by Ford is the emissions. (A new computer controlled fuel injection is better)
If I could do it, I would - but I'm in California. If your laws allow it, do it. Incidentally, I did see a Ranger running well with DuraSpark and the original carb, but I don't know the full history.
Without touching anything... don't wear light colored pants around the exhaust when it is idling, it will run a little on the rich side.:icon_thumby: It never has been hooked up to anything since I got it or else I wouldn't have it set up this way.

I have a goofy turndown pointed to the back like a diesel so I don't spray the vehicle beside me with soot at startup, because as luck would have it it is usually my F-150.

There is a metering valve you can make that is supposed to make the stock carb adjustable like a non-feedback.

My choke is messing up too, so I am going to convert the other one (2100) to manual choke and swap it on in one foul swoop.

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Done correctly,it is very reliable.If you buy a holley 350cfm carb shoot me a pm,I can save you some time setting it up.With the 350cfm you won't need to change the intake manifold.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I've got a cam and duraspark distributor that could help you get more power. i have headers too, but they are for a 4x4, so i'm not sure if they would work in your application. link is in my sig line. a duraspark swap sounds daunting at first, but is really easy once you jump into it.

and yeah, your stock intake will work fine. if you plan on keeping a pretty stock motor, stick with the older motorcraft carb. its cheaper and all a stock setup needs. if you are going to add stuff like cam, headers, exhaust, etc..., go with the holley 350.

and after reading this thread a little more, i would snag up fastpakr's setup if i was still going to keep my 2.8. thats one hell of a deal he's got. both of our "for sale" parts together would make one haulin-ass 2.8 :headbang:

and yes, smaller tires in the back would give your truck a little more "pep"

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals