• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering Idle

EarlFace

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Been searching and didnt find much. I have an 85 ranger 2.8 5spd 2wd. Bought it for next to nothing and dont want to spend any money on it that i dont have to.

Anways, problem is that when i start it up the idle is super high. When i put it in to gear it lowers quite a bit but still a little too high even. Not sure on the rpms but dont think that should matter. Had a quick look at the carb and wasnt sure where the idle adjustment screw is or if there is one? Can someone point me in the right direction?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fast idle is supposed to be 3k rpm, which sounds very bad. I hate it on mine, it sounds like it is going to come apart.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.html

There is a screw near the throttle cable that can be used to turn down the idle, the problem I have ran into though is when you have it sounding decent cold, when it is warm it wants to idle too low to stay running and it dies.

EarlFace

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Fast idle is supposed to be 3k rpm, which sounds very bad. I hate it on mine, it sounds like it is going to come apart.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.html

There is a screw near the throttle cable that can be used to turn down the idle, the problem I have ran into though is when you have it sounding decent cold, when it is warm it wants to idle too low to stay running and it dies.
would it be one i would see from the front back or side? i dont have my ranger to go look as it lives an hour away from me but i need it next weekend to move so ill have to turn it down quick. i found one that points towards the back on the passenger side but when i turned it, it didnt do anything.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would it be one i would see from the front back or side? i dont have my ranger to go look as it lives an hour away from me but i need it next weekend to move so ill have to turn it down quick. i found one that points towards the back on the passenger side but when i turned it, it didnt do anything.
Mine is an hour and a half away, if I think of it I will get you a picture this weekend.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The screw on the driver side, withe the head to the firewall is for your minimum idle and it shouldn't touch when you are idling. The one on the driver side front sets the idle through the bracket. (You will see a black thing with a plunger that is supposed to go in and out to adjust idle automatically) This is hard to explain, but a manual will make it simple.

Actually, I should have started by saying this is for a factory set-up. If your smog rules allow, do the DuraSpark. If factory, strt by pulling codes because the computer may be compensating for a problem.

EarlFace

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The screw on the driver side, withe the head to the firewall is for your minimum idle and it shouldn't touch when you are idling. The one on the driver side front sets the idle through the bracket. (You will see a black thing with a plunger that is supposed to go in and out to adjust idle automatically) This is hard to explain, but a manual will make it simple.

Actually, I should have started by saying this is for a factory set-up. If your smog rules allow, do the DuraSpark. If factory, strt by pulling codes because the computer may be compensating for a problem.
Im pretty sure its factory and we dont have any smog laws whatsoever im from canada:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals