• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

starting problems

cp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've been trying to figure out why my dura sparked 84 b2 won't start but i don't know what else to try. here it is: won't turn over. checked usuall stuff first, battery, fuses, new cables, got a new starter, starter relay ( twice, the first one i put in shorted out. problem there?). i replaced the distributor, coil, and module a few months back and it ran like champ until the other day when i couldn't get it started. any ideas?

mercman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Won't turn over or won't fire? If it won't turn over and the starter, solenoid and battery are good, then it may be something odd like a bad ignition, or neutral safety switch.

In order to isolate the problem you could first make sure it's in park or neutral with the parking brake on then jump from the small prong on your starting solenoid to the + battery cable post on it. If you do this and it turns over then your problem is on the control side, and you can trouble shoot from there. If it doesn't then the problem has to be in the cables, grounding, battery, solenoid, or starter.

If it turns over and just won't fire. Let me ask you a question did you leave your key in the on position with engine not running for any length of time? I did this right after my duraspark conversion and it burnt out my ignition module. So start by testing that out. Hopefully I'm wrong but check it out, Autozone will do it for free. If not then go back through the usual checks spark fuel, timing. Good luck, and let us know.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mercman is giving good advice here. I'd add that trouble-shooting by replacement parts is expensive. Start with any manual that covers a DuraSparked car for test procedures. I used to use a Motor's Manual but there are others, Maybe someplace on-line will have a good guide; maybe even a Pinto site - same ignition on many of them.
Good luck and be patient.

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
There is also a stupid plugin deal in the steering collem that tends to pull apart just a thought if it don't crank over

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
you might go out with a breaker bar and see if you can turn the engine over by hand or if it's seized before you go throwing too much money at it.

cp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info guys. been busy and haven't had time to mess with it but we'll see what happens this week end.

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Definitely make sure the grounds are good. Dont just assume they are because they look good. Im fighting a ground problem that i havent quite figured out yet but it causes a lot of problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals