• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd Ranger in snow?

tbirdscott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How well do they do? If I keep the truck through the winter I will be getting a set of 235/75/15 winter tires and probabally a hundred pounds in the box just foreward of the axle, Sound like a good combo?

I live 55km from the city and half of that will be very poorly if not plowed road in the mornings on my way to work. I have the opportunity to trade the ranger for an 85 s-10, 2.8/5spd 4X4 Mechanically great condition but cosmetically faded and rusty (no rust through or dents though) That my father-in-law has owned since new.

Last year I drove my 87 turbo sprint and only had to turn back home twice. Once because there was 15" of fresh snow on the roads and with 8" of ground clearance the engine bay packed full of snow and started melting throwing off all the electronics, and the other time we had a heavy rain and on my way I passed three chained up logging trucks in the ditches and at the bottom of a hill I had to go down I saw 4 cars piled up so I decided to turn around at the top. This year I expect to be worse and we got about 6 feet last year.

Its getting close to that time of year and I am worrying about this trucks abilities. My brother said the truck was horrible in the snow but he isnt the best driver and he used all seasons in the winter so I really dont have much to go on.

Thanks
Scott

BTW my truck is a 1997 ranger ext. cab 2.3/5spd

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a 96 2wd for a couple of winters. I bought a pair of winter aggressive tires for it and put four 70lbs bags of play sand I got at Home Depot. I placed the weight over the axle. I moved the weight close to the cab when I didnt need it. Truck did good but we dont get a lot of snow in central Kentucky, mostly freezing rain.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of how well a truck can do in any kind of condition has to do with your ability as a driver. Just because the S-10 is 4x4 doesn't necessarily mean it will do any better. Granted it does have 2 more powered wheels, but don't let that get to your head. In some of the instances you mentioned, such as going down a slippery hill, 4wd wouldn't be of much help. I rarely use 4x4 during the winter, but it doesn't really snow much around here. I grew up in Alaska however, so I learned how to drive accordingly in slippery situations, and that helps a lot. You sound like a sensible enough driver having used 2wd up to this point. I'd use some weight in the bed like you said and maybe a set of chains for when it gets really nasty.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
shovel the bed full of snow.
makes great balast that goes away when its not needed.

Bob

tbirdscott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I think Chains are a good idea, i'll have to get a set. I havnt driven rwd in winter for a few years, I've been 'spoiled' by fwd. I had to drive my tbird for about a month last winter when the clutch went in the sprint and though I made it back and forth it was quite the white knuckled experience even with cables for the rear wheels.

Scott

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
and nobody has bothered to ask about the axle....if your rear axle is open, you might have some problems but if you have a l/s rear (or better, a locker) you are in much better shape. if it's open, it wont take much to make one tire spin, and that will end it for you. check to see if you have a l/s rear.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
However a limited slip can be more dangerous, if you don't watch how you drive. If you power through a corner and hit ice it is more likely to make the rear end come out from underneath you.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, last winter I had brand new all season tires and 8 35lb sandbags in the box, I still slipped around a little bit. Basically, my best advice, from living in Calgary, sand bags are your friends, if you do happen to get stuck, you can always use some of the sand to help in traction. Sandbags, good tires, and not driving like an idiot is probably the best you can do.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I live an Hour south of Buffalo. I drive my 2wd everywhere.

The trick is about 500 lbs of tube sand, good snow tires and knowing how the truck handles and what your ablilities are.

This year, I may try some chains, because when I worked a few half shifts and got off work at 4 Am and nothing is plowed i had some difficulties.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I live an Hour south of Buffalo. I drive my 2wd everywhere.
The trick is about 500 lbs of tube sand, good snow tires and knowing how the truck handles and what your ablilities are.
Yeah, you can do okay with the 2wd with a little preparation in advance...
1) Good tires, don't necessarily have to be snow tires
2) Some weight in the back (atleast 200lb)
3) Maintain the fuel level toward full
4) Have supplies, blankets/warm clothing, a shovel, just in case.
5) Have a safe driving attitude and know your limitations.
6) If possible, choose your route carefully. Don't take the one you know you're going to be stopped on a big hill trying to get it moving again. Go around the big hill if you have the option.

T.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
good advice given above. look at your local laws concerning tire chains, some places will not allow them as they tear up the roads.

tubes of sand in the back, good tires, and watch how you drive.

AJ

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
exactly, tires chains and spikes are not allowed here. so a good set of tires, some weight and some common sense will get you through.

Disturbed_Ranger

Reaction score
I spent last winter on 2wd because my hubs were f'ed. I HATED it. I live in canada so we get quite the amount of snow. If i look back at it though, 4wd would of helped me around 5 times all winter. It's your choice, but this winter i've got a new truck with a functionnal 4wd so i won't be bothered. the extra $$$ is all worth it if it helps me out.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
exactly, tires chains and spikes are not allowed here. so a good set of tires, some weight and some common sense will get you through.
They don't allow studded tires??? They even allow them here in the winter. But of course salting the roads and fucking up everyones cars is perfectly fine to them...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yep, no studded tires unless you are handicapped or a rural mail carrier here in IL

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals