• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange problem with automatic transmission

gibbler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
First of all, please have some understanding for my not so good english. I´m from sweden :)

I have an Ford Ranger 1989 with a 2,9L V6 and an automatic transmission with overdrive (A4LD i belive it is?).
The problem i have is that when de transmission gets warm it take a long time forit to shift gears. Most problems are between the 2nd and 3rd gear (i think it is anyway). The engine revs up to the read area but i wont shift the gear. I lower the revs and after a while te 3rd gear coms in. And after that th following gears works, even the overdrive.
The transmission works fine when its cold. The oil and filter in the transmission is changed, it has only been driven approx 1850 miles since then.

I've change the tires to a more offroadstyle but they are not bigger.. but they will take some more power to get them rolling. Does that have any effect to this problem?

Is there anyone who have any ideas what this could be? Or what to do about it?

This is my ranger..

Butch2112

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
There is no way to say this without sounding like a smarta#* and I don't meen to, But did you check the fluid level? There is also a governor thing at the back of the tranny in the tail piece that gets gummed up from time to time and needs to be cleaned. I don't know what its called but it looks like a small weight on a stem. If it binds up it wont shift.

gibbler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, forgoten to write that, but yes the oil-level is what it should be. Anyone who has som more information about this "thing" that needs to be cleaned? :)

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This could be a problem with the governor inside your transmission. If you remove the tail housing on the transmission, you will see it. Usually it's a problem with varnish or debris. Clean it to the point of it being surgically clean with brake and parts cleaner and try that, if that doesn't work, it could be a valve body issue. Cleaning the valve body is as it sounds. Make sure you replace the separator gasket and separator plate. Use OE parts from ford too. They are a bit more money, but well worth the expense. I believe there is a complete "update" gasket kit too. last time I checked, it was worth about 145 bucks Canadian.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals