• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help please....88 E150 van....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
OK heres the deal...

I got this van....GIVIN to me, with a awesome body, damn near perfect interior, its a conversion, everything even the A/C works flawlessly.

Anyways, the damn thing wont move. You drop it in gear and it stalls the motor dead in its tracks. Its got a 300 I6, im going to go pick it up tomorrow but i would like to have some idea what im getting myself into....

My guess is its in the trans, it has O/D so its a AOD right?

later,
Dustin

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I know GM had some FWD transmission problems with the lockup solenoid getting stuck which would engage lockup, killing the engine by acting like a manual and not pushing the clutch when stopping. I don't know Ford transmissions, but maybe they had a similar kind of problem?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yeah, my first guess would be a locked torque converter.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Maybe im dumb but ive never dealt with a locked tq converter before...should the wheels still roll while the thing is in neutrual correct? So i can get the frickin thing on a trailer?

Also what does an E150 conversion roughly weigh? Wondering if i can get away with pulling it with the F150 seeing as how i gotta drive 50 miles to get it and if i take the F250 or the dually its going to cost me 300 bucks in gas.

later,
Dustin

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The f150 will pull it fine for 50 miles, just do it smartly. And i dont think a locked toqrue converter is the prob otherwise it would be locked at the rear wheels. IMO Ive heard of this with ford before, but I cant remember what caused it.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK heres the deal...

I got this van....GIVIN to me, with a awesome body, damn near perfect interior, its a conversion, everything even the A/C works flawlessly.

Anyways, the damn thing wont move. You drop it in gear and it stalls the motor dead in its tracks. Its got a 300 I6, im going to go pick it up tomorrow but i would like to have some idea what im getting myself into....

My guess is its in the trans, it has O/D so its a AOD right?

later,
Dustin
Two of my friends in high school had an E150 van. It felt kind of heavy but it could certainly get out of its own way. Might have been a V8. When driving it people would get out of my way. Another friend had a newer diesel one and we took it on a ski trip and the damn thing took 8 people to push up an incline whenever it got stuck. It should be fine to tow it with a F150 for 50 miles seeing as it should weigh about 5000 lbs and its been said that Rangers can tow that much. On a separate note, when I took auto shop we had one of those vans and to get the engine out it was necessary to take apart part of the cab (engine sat directly beneath and in front of the front seats). So it may be a hassle to work on. But vans are fun :icon_thumby:.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
my taurus did that and it was the lock up clutch on the torque converter. given that this is a 300 it might be an E4OD....... although in 1988 it could be either, but all 90+ Broncos with a 300 and auto had E4OD.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Two of my friends in high school had an E150 van. It felt kind of heavy but it could certainly get out of its own way. Might have been a V8. When driving it people would get out of my way. Another friend had a newer diesel one and we took it on a ski trip and the damn thing took 8 people to push up an incline whenever it got stuck. It should be fine to tow it with a F150 for 50 miles seeing as it should weigh about 5000 lbs and its been said that Rangers can tow that much. On a separate note, when I took auto shop we had one of those vans and to get the engine out it was necessary to take apart part of the cab (engine sat directly beneath and in front of the front seats). So it may be a hassle to work on. But vans are fun :icon_thumby:.

easiest tune up I ever did (there were 2 of them this easy) was a 95 Ford motorhome built on an E350 chasis with a 460 and an 85 chevy G20 conversion with a 305. when you take the dog house off you have access to the whole back of the engine and can reach all 8 plugs with out being a contortionist....... this is really important on a chevy given the idiotic idea of putting the distributor in the back. and you can always take the engine out through the bottom easier than you could disassemble the front clip.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Diesels used to lose power alot going uphill. The newer diesels shouldnt have that prob, it was a big disadvantage back then.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well i went to go and get it....started it up, dropped it in gear, and it stalled. However, out of curosity i pulled it into 1st and it was fine. I actually drove it home shifting it manually.

WTF?

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
its not the lock up clutch then. Modulator maybe? maybe a vacuum line in missing? I would start with a filter/fluid change.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Maybe take it in and get the tq converter and everything flushed out?

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Maybe take it in and get the tq converter and everything flushed out?

later,
Dustin
yeah except I wouldn't do a power flush. I would just get everything drained then go with another filter, because if that transmission has alot of metal shavings in it then it could be damaged further by spreading the shavings through out the transmission. I would just drain the transmission, drain the torque converter and change the filter, plus then you could see if there are any shavings in the pan.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah except I wouldn't do a power flush. I would just get everything drained then go with another filter, because if that transmission has alot of metal shavings in it then it could be damaged further by spreading the shavings through out the transmission. I would just drain the transmission, drain the torque converter and change the filter, plus then you could see if there are any shavings in the pan.
Most flush machines just use the transmissions pump to circulate the fluid. They disconnect a cooler line and the tranny pumps out the old and the machine pumps in the new at the same rate, when the clean stuff starts coming out it is done. It circulates no differently that it would going down the road.

At least that is how the one works at the dealership my brother works at, I would follow that up with a filter change. (keep the new fluid clean so you can reuse it)

When I dropped the pan on my 4R70W (glorified AODE), there was also a magnet in there to catch shavings, a few will be normal. Dunno if it applies to trannys that old but if you find a little plastic stopper with a o-ring on it you are the first one to have the pan off unless for some unknown reason they put it back in. (I was the first in mine at 60k) They were used to plug the dipstick hole before installation, and are pushed into the tranny when it is put into the truck. So if you find one in there nothing bad happened aside from poor maintanance. Kinda freaky to drop the pan and find parts until you find out what it is.:shok:

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
just a note a flush on any automatic with high miles gives you about a 70% chance of destroying your tranny. unless it has had regular flushes through out its life. the reason is that after so manny miles the tranny fluid loses its deturgents (propertys to clean inturnal parts) or more properly put the deturgents turn into varnish and collect on the friction plates. after more miles the friction plates start to deteriorate to the point that the varnish is the only thing holding the friction plates together. when new fluid is added the deturgents in it start to break down the varnish and the friction plates fall apart.
atleast thats how my transmissions teacher described it to me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals