• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starving For Fuel?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well last weekend I wen to drive my rig up the long road that goes up larch mountain to go shooting. I get to the top and pull off on the dirt road where I wanted to go and my rig started missing, so I turned around and headed to my buddies house only a couple minutes away, it started missing really bad, had to use 1st gear to make it run. I got there and called my dad, we both agreed it sounded like a fuel filter problem since Ive had the rig over 1.5 years and never changed it. He brought me a used one that was in our parts rig (for temporary use, though it looked pretty fresh) and I changed it. The old one had some nasty black fuel in it. I fired it up and took off as fast as I could and it was fine and has been fine for a few days. Now today I go up to go shooting again and on the first big hill I got behind a propane truck which was behind a garbage truck that was stopping every 20 feet... So I was on the hill for a few minutes, once we got to the top of the first hill it started missing again just like it did before. I pulled into my other buddies driveway who lives further down than my other buddy and shut it off for a few minutes, started it and drove back down the hill, into town and back home with no problems... Im thinking sediment in the tank is plugging the screen for the fuel pick-up in the tank... I can hear the fuel pump on the frame rail prime when I turn the key on. The first time it had a full tank of gs and the second time about 1/4 tank. Any other ideas?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Well last weekend I wen to drive my rig up the long road that goes up larch mountain to go shooting. I get to the top and pull off on the dirt road where I wanted to go and my rig started missing, so I turned around and headed to my buddies house only a couple minutes away, it started missing really bad, had to use 1st gear to make it run. I got there and called my dad, we both agreed it sounded like a fuel filter problem since Ive had the rig over 1.5 years and never changed it. He brought me a used one that was in our parts rig (for temporary use, though it looked pretty fresh) and I changed it. The old one had some nasty black fuel in it. I fired it up and took off as fast as I could and it was fine and has been fine for a few days. Now today I go up to go shooting again and on the first big hill I got behind a propane truck which was behind a garbage truck that was stopping every 20 feet... So I was on the hill for a few minutes, once we got to the top of the first hill it started missing again just like it did before. I pulled into my other buddies driveway who lives further down than my other buddy and shut it off for a few minutes, started it and drove back down the hill, into town and back home with no problems... Im thinking sediment in the tank is plugging the screen for the fuel pick-up in the tank... I can hear the fuel pump on the frame rail prime when I turn the key on. The first time it had a full tank of gs and the second time about 1/4 tank. Any other ideas?
don't go shooting:icon_rofl: sorry couldn't help it.

I'll side with something in the tank...other than proper fuel, duh. A friend & I was discussing something very simular to your situation....they ended up droping the tank and and pulling the tube out from the inside tank, (inlet) & took the line off up stream and blew air back thru...it ended up being that the inlet tube had a mesh like screen on the end of it, which had decompossed and sucked up inside the fuel line...this caused the symtom of a plugged filter & bits & pieces actually would lodge in the filter too ,(they back blew that too in a rag).

What caused this "prescreen" to decompose?? bad gas??....too much alcohol in the fuel?? any number of things.

Not saying that there is a "prescreen" on rangers...I don't know for sure. It just sounds soo very familar.

maybe the rubber fill tube from the gas cap to the tank is decomposing from the inside out??

my 2cents...hope it helps

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well today I went out to check on that used filter I replaced my old one with. I was draining the rail and noticed the fuel was really foamy and was taking forever to drain. I then popped the line off the filter and foamy gas just strarted rushing out for like 5 seconds. It didnt do that when I replaced the filter the first time or when I changed the high pressure pump on the rail a couple days ago. Is that my problem and if so what would cause this?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Well today I went out to check on that used filter I replaced my old one with. I was draining the rail and noticed the fuel was really foamy and was taking forever to drain. I then popped the line off the filter and foamy gas just strarted rushing out for like 5 seconds. It didnt do that when I replaced the filter the first time or when I changed the high pressure pump on the rail a couple days ago. Is that my problem and if so what would cause this?
From which direction was the gas coming from?? the fuel rail or the tank?
foamy gas?? hmmm can't say that I've run into that. but then again I haven't experienced your symtpoms. foamy... says to me a slight leak where fuel line is sucking air & constant agiation into the system. or not being able vent out traped air.

I take it one of the lines was the return...bad carcoal canister, or restricted return line?? WAG.

sorry not much help,,,just tossing out thoughts

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
From the engine side. Im thinking its vapor lock, the fuel is getting too hot and foaming. I tried the hill again today and got to the top and pulled off onto the dirt road and it started doing it again in the EXACT same spot. I shut it off for 5 minutes and let it cool down even though the engine temp was below 200. I fired it up and it was fine again. My father suggested maybe the fuel pressure regulator is bad and for some reason is causing the fuel to get hot by not letting enough fuel into the rail to cool it. I replaced it with the one on my spare engine since it only takes about 10 minutes so Ill see if that helps... I really hope it isnt being cause the by pump in the tank because I really dont want to drop the tank...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK, now its fawking pissing me off. I drove up the hill again and it did it in the same spot AGAIN!!! I shut it off for about 5 minutes and I drained the fuel outta the rail and it was foamy again. Fired it up and drove it back no problems... Ive driven this thing over a hundred miles all over the fawkin place but it only does it at the top of that hill... Im thinkin its the pump in the tank.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
OK, now its fawking pissing me off. I drove up the hill again and it did it in the same spot AGAIN!!! I shut it off for about 5 minutes and I drained the fuel outta the rail and it was foamy again. Fired it up and drove it back no problems... Ive driven this thing over a hundred miles all over the fawkin place but it only does it at the top of that hill... Im thinkin its the pump in the tank.
HAve your tried a different gas cap.....MAYBE your old one isn't venting as well as it should??? But that would tend to happen all the time...yes??

How full is the tank when your at this picticular incline...could the angle be such that your pickup tube in the tank be sucking air?? (w/partial tank of gas) ???

tend to agree the tank, in all likelihood, is where the issue lies

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Im thinkin its the pump in the tank.
I'm thinking the same thing.

the rail mounted pump doesn't draw fuel very well, but well enough to keep the engine running when the demand isn't too great.

If the intank pump is dead it will generate running problems like you are having.

Personally I switched over to high pressure pumps in the tank.
Partly because they are more reliable than the low pressure pump used in earlier years and also because my Ranger has dual tanks and having TWO high pressure pumps, one in each tank, meant that having ONE high pressure pump fail would still leave me with a functioning spare in the other tank.
Sadly with a bronco2 you don't have that option...

but you CAN use the in tank unit from an '89-90 bronco2
(swap your fuel level sensor over)
this will allow to ELIMINATE the fuel reservoir, the frame mounted pump
and RELOCATE the filter to the place where the frame mounted pump is
now where it is FAR more accessable when the times comes to change it.

AD

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
HAve your tried a different gas cap.....MAYBE your old one isn't venting as well as it should??? But that would tend to happen all the time...yes??

How full is the tank when your at this picticular incline...could the angle be such that your pickup tube in the tank be sucking air?? (w/partial tank of gas) ???

tend to agree the tank, in all likelihood, is where the issue lies
First time the tank had 50 miles on it and the second time it was a 1/4 tank and the 2 other times it was about 1/2 tank.

Ive put almost 200 miles on it since this started and it only happens when I drive up that long hill doing 40-50mph in 3rd all the way to the top and then pull off the road. Im gonna wait till I run this current tank down a ways before I drop the tank.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
First time the tank had 50 miles on it and the second time it was a 1/4 tank and the 2 other times it was about 1/2 tank.

Ive put almost 200 miles on it since this started and it only happens when I drive up that long hill doing 40-50mph in 3rd all the way to the top and then pull off the road. Im gonna wait till I run this current tank down a ways before I drop the tank.
Curious..does your gas gauge read accurately?? Like the 1st 1/4 reads pretty well then the gauge falls off raipidly and then last 1/4 of a tank reads more or less right? or something like that

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Curious..does your gas gauge read accurately?? Like the 1st 1/4 reads pretty well then the gauge falls off raipidly and then last 1/4 of a tank reads more or less right? or something like that
Well kinda. Ive owned the rig for over a year, I know how much fuel is in it and what the gauge tells me. It reads full when full and goes all the way down to E then will come back up 1/4 tank and drop to E again when its actually empty.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals