• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pics Carb/ Idle no power Help!

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, These are pics of the carb and what I have hooked up so far. Like i said it idles but has no power when i give it throttle. It sounds like its sucking air but the rpms aren't raising it seems. The jets aren't clogged but im thinking im missing a hose or something needs to be replaced. please help thanks.

Numbered Questions:
1. Is there a hose that is supposed to be connected to this port or is this a breathing port of some type?
2. I understand things like this need to be replaced but could this be the problem even if i had it connected and taped with electrical tape?

Thanks Again for the Help

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1 is the carbon canister, that's normal. 2 is , I can't remember but it's not your problem.

I don't see anything obvious . I'll have another look later. In the mean time if you have time you could check the vacuum hoses for cracks etc.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
#2 red hooks to 1 side of solenoid valve,other side to ground.Powered up when key is on,and is carb bowl vent to vapor canister.

#1 is vapor canister,one side should be hose from gas tank to collect vapors and one side should go to carb bowl vent solenoid valve and sloenoid valve and hose to rear of intake/or carb.That valve operated by computer.

Don't think it's your problem either,sorry I don't have the magic bullet but I'll think on it awhile.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try unplugging the spout connector at the dizzy and see if you have power and a smooth idle.I seem to recall having that problem before I threw in the towel and durasparked.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
is the choke plate staying closed, like in the picture, even when the engine is running??

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The choke plate (butterfly) opens slightly when I give it throttle. It opens about 1/4in when full throttle. then closes when the throttle isnt engaged.

Is the "spout connector" your talking about the vacuum that is connected to the choke oven?

Last edited:

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
im not real sure what is wrong but my best sugestion is to losen the 3 screws on the choke actuator (the round black thing on the passenger side of the carb) and rotate it till your choke/butterfly is open. Then re tighten the 3 screws, and start it to see if this fixes your problem. let me know if it works.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm with Bronco Chuck on the choke adjustment.The spout is a single wire with inline connector from computer to dizzy.The connector is about 8 inches from dizzy,to check simply unplug and see if your situation improves.It is the signal from computer to dizzy to advance timming.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bronco Chuck- I turned the actuator until my butterfly was fully open. I ran the vehicle. It would start but didnt fix the problem. When i gave it throttle nothing would open or close the butterfly and it was starting to backfire.from the carb and exhaust. the adjustment i made just kept it open. Then i saw i didnt connect the vacuum hose to the actuator and when i did and started the truck, it would idle but when i gave it gas it would die.

skippy- have not attempted your suggestion yet but will after work today if i could find this wire that connects to the dizzy.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
okay, well have you checked to see if the aclerator pump is working? are the butterflys on the bottem of the carb opening when you give it gas?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To locate the spout connector,look at dizzy tfi module and wires,follow them back away from dizzy,one wire will have a inline connector,thats it.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At work but i took more pics.
A-on the passenger side of the engine bay, Found this red harness not connected to anything and nothing around it of its side either.
B- Dont know what this is but i found it disconnected and nothing around it to connected to. it has two prongs on the inside.
C- is this the spout connector?

Not gonna lie, wasnt aware that it had a lower butterfly but i will look at it after work. Thanks.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
lol the top butterfly is just the choke and should be open at operating temp. there are lower butterflys that are the throttle valve plates, they help to regulate the ammount of air that flows into the engine. and A is the connection to the computer so you can hook up a scanner. i belive that C is a wire that connects the alternator to the voltage regulator. have you checked to see if the acelorator pump is working?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The spout is in the area of the passenger side valve cover and carb about 6 to 8 inches from the dizzy.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The accelerator pump is pumping gas into the carb.

And another thing. When i went out to start the truck everything was dead! played around in the bay for a bit then it started and lights worked like usual. but then i ran the truck when it died everything died again. so i waited around 4 min and everything came back on again. i dont know whats up. its a brand new battery like 12 days old.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals