• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8l V6

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what common problems do these 2.8L's have?

found a 1988 ranger 4x4, guy says its a blown engine, body work was done to it except one side of the box he says. oh and has a 6" skyjacker lift.
this truck is a 2.8L apparently carburated.

and do you guys think it would be a decent buy?

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is an '88, it has a different engine in it. 88's had an injected 2.9 I believe. A carbureted 2.8 should be an '85 or older. My experience with the 2.8 is that it no power but will last forever. Put a wrench to it now and then and it will last forever and ever. Some emission parts are getting a little hard to find if it has to be smogged. Mine has over 325,000 miles on it and gets 20 mpg and used no oil between oil changes(2000 mi.)
Good little bullet proof engine.

Eric

billm85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i beg to differ my 2.8 has balls. i can light up then tires pretty good and have hauled things a ranger should never haul

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
i had a couple of 2.8 i think there strong with stock tires and such but put bigger tires underneith the truck and forget about useing overdrive on the freeway, i had a 2.8 with a bad rear main seal ran it out of oil about 5 or 6 times till the engine sized poured ooil in it started up and did a burnout back on the road till the oil ran out again, never did blow it up all the way but when i took it apart the rod bearings were paper thin and i couldnt get the cam out bearings were stuck onto the cam :icon_rofl: also had couple of rings in pieces on the bottem of the pan buut in a long run for a little guy it ran good and lasted forever!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals