• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 Mustang GT 5.0 ___ Electrical / Pro Advice

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Hey TRS-ers,

My 1992 5.0 GT had water damage back during Hurricane Allison (2001). It had professional work done before I bought it (new carpet, ragtop, radio), but my electricals are acting up.

Everything seems to come in pairs. Let me explain:

• Passenger power lock sometimes wants to UNlock. However, it always locks.
  • Passenger power window never wants to go up. However, it always goes down.
  • Power mirrors (on driver & pass. sides) never adjust down or right. However, it always adjusts up & left.

I suspect it may be a ground, but I don't know where to look. Battery is good & grounded. The JVC radio (installed by someone else post H2O dmg) has routed completely different wiring, and there isn't the original radio harness. Cigarette lighter in middle console (where power mirror switch is located) works.

Any thoughts on why this is? Fuse? Where to look for bad ground? Which relay or switch is bad/needs to be replaced? I did a search on a couple 'stang forums without luck. Any link posts would be helpful as well.

AgPete

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would suspwct the switches, especially if one direction works.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Inside the door panel you can get a good look at you switch housings and wiring. I would start there. I had 92 a few years ago, as well as an 89 86 and 85, I now have a 2000, I had a 97 for a very short time. I will check for my hayne smanual and talk to a few people, Also some good stang sites to check out are motorsportmustangs.com, 3.8mustang.com, v6power.net, Also go to mustangheaven.com That is where you vote on the top 100 sites but it will give you links to more than 500 mustang sites across the internet. There are 12 that I frequent, However they are not all worth mentioning. Also moddedmustangs.com

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I would suspwct the switches, especially if one direction works.
I hotwired the connecting plug, and the mirrors work in both directions with the reverse polarities. I have ordered a NOS mirror switch this morning. After $16 spent, we'll see in a week...

I have switched out the driver's side switch panel with one from a junkyard (looked in good condition, spliced wires in). Still the same symptoms. I guess that's now ruled out...

Inside the door panel you can get a good look at you switch housings and wiring. I would start there. I had 92 a few years ago, as well as an 89 86 and 85, I now have a 2000, I had a 97 for a very short time. I will check for my hayne smanual and talk to a few people, Also some good stang sites to check out are motorsportmustangs.com, 3.8mustang.com, v6power.net, Also go to mustangheaven.com That is where you vote on the top 100 sites but it will give you links to more than 500 mustang sites across the internet. There are 12 that I frequent, However they are not all worth mentioning. Also moddedmustangs.com
I have a Haynes & a Chiltons (both came with the car). Posted a similar question on WestCoastMustang a while back with little help.

The driver's side switch panel is probably not the problem. I played with a voltmeter, and the passenger panel switch (without the buttons attached) got power.

Could all these switches REALLY be the problem? :dunno:

Could the guys (the "professionals") that reconditioned the car have much too much dielectric grease in or something? Crammed the buttons and broke something? The connectors are correct, and I see no corrosion on the panel switch boards...

Thanks so much, Froggy. I knew there had to be some 5.0 fanatic on here! :headbang: :yahoo::yahoo:

Thanks everyone for the help...

AgPete

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Too much dielectric is def a possibility. Also could be the relays. Another real big possibility is if they didnt replace the motors for the locking and window mechanisms. The water would have created minor rust, even if they dried them out. Or the motors could be going bad just from old age and the water accelerated this. If nothing else works replace teh motors. I believe there are relays between the power source and the switches, as well as relays between the switches and the motors. I could be wrong but check on that as well.

I forgot to mention earlier. 3.8 and v6p are @$$holes of the greatest nature, albeit very tech savvy. Do a thorough search of the forums before you go posting.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Problem Solved

After playing with a multimeter and much frustration, the sources of the mess are as follows:

• The ground on the driver door (for controls) was good, but there was a ground near the battery that also connects the fender starter solenoid that was rusted.

This made the frequency of the failures to lessen.

• The hard copper wires in the passenger door hinge were just fatigued from the opening/closing of the door.

This explains why I sometimes/occasionally got a reading at the passenger control. This made it difficult to pinpoint.

• The power mirror switch was actually broken. Never assume the part works. Take it apart anyways (to each single piece). The internals were just broken and were not making contact.
  • The passenger side, although it looked perfect fine, just did not work. Replaced the window switch from an aftermarket at O'Reilly's.

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

So, pretty much it was a combination of problems that royally pissed me off.

:bawling:

:::::::::::::::: CLOSE THREAD :::::::::::::::

Keywords: short, circuit, grounding out, electrial, wiring problem issue, occasionally working power

Pete

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the update, Glad you got it working.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals