• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

one side of the rear sits higher

dangerranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i got an '88 that im goin to drop in the rear with a flip-kit. but i measured the heigth to get an idea of how low it would be and i noticed that the passenger side rear sits almost an inch higher than the other side.
it doesnt really bother me but when i do the flip-kit is goin to be the same in the rear or would it still sit higher on that side?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
It's still going to sit exactly the same... only three or four inches lower all around.

There's not much to do to curb the ranger 'lean' in the rear. Optimally it would be best to switch sides of the gas tank and battery.

It can only be expected in a vehicle where 60-65% of the weight is on the drivers side.

Btw, Welcome to THE Ranger Station and you have a very tight looking truck from your avatar. Got more pics?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Put the same air pressure in all 4 tires--get a straight board that will fit between the two back tires & tape a carpenter's level to the top of it--put the board on the concrete driveway between the two back tires--raise one end of the board up to get the bubble centered & put a shim under the board to keep the bubble centered--measure the distance from the bottom of the axle to the top of the board next to each tire--then put a jack under the axle on the side with the smallest amount of clearance--jack that wheel off the ground & stick a shim under the wheel that will cause the distance between the board & the bottom of the axle to be the same when the jack is lowered--do the same to the front wheels--now you have 4 wheels that are LEVEL--does it still sit lopsided? If it does, you can now find out what's really making it sit uneven...unless it really doesn't matter:icon_idea:

Last edited:

valleyvinyl84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 / 1994
Make / Model
Ford / Chevy
Engine Size
2.0 / 350 CID
Transmission
Manual
Just throwin' this out there, check your leaf pack shackles. I had one of mine break a while ago and it didn't really make any noise when it happened but I noticed my Ranger was sitting lopsided at work one day.

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
yep there' a pile of stuff that could cause it--tire pressure, worn front end parts, heavy driver, un-level driveway, full tank of gas, weak leaf, rusted/seized shackle bolt, rusted out bed mounting points, bad gas shock, etc....

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is intentional - because of the enormous amount of torque :shok: from my stock 4.0 I needed to preload the suspension in the rear, so when I take off I get even transfer of power to both rear wheels.

^^ That sounds like something doorgunner would say - doh! :icon_rofl: :icon_twisted:

dangerranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
yea i figured after i lowered it that it wouldnt change anything. for a while i didnt even notice it was lope sided in the back til i was walkin to it one day comin out of store. ima fully check everything in the rear tomorrow..

And thanx for the welcome.. ill try gettin some more pix on soon..

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
O.K Hazmat...don't confuse me...i'm still tryin to figure out why u avatar is running backwards & firing on #5 first...now, there is one other possibility......:icon_idea:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
funny, my ranger leans to the right. i guess im basackwerds. :icon_twisted: :icon_idea: although my right shackle broke and i rewelded it. :D

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
O.K....blackwidow has hijacked my keyboard....I did not say that Hazmat(that--it's a ford--thing)...did not at all.....not..........probably not

dangerranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
whats the other possibility?

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No one has thought of the obvious - you are looking at the engine from the drivers seat not the front of the truck - duh!!!:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

dangerranger88: ALL Rangers have a lean to them. There are small and simple fixes to correct it, but most owners just accept it and forget it. I notice it occasionally and then just push it out. It will not affect your truck if left like that.
I personally do think it is some sort of pre-load built into the suspension, but that is just my honest opinion - I could be wrong :icon_thumby:

dangerranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea ive noticed a bunch of trucks like that. especially the smaller ones. it dont bother me cuz it aint that noticable unless u really pay close attention. i jus wonderin if anything could be done about it.. either way im jus gona let it be... i appreciate the help the suggestions tho..:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
O.K Hazmat...don't confuse me...i'm still tryin to figure out why u avatar is running backwards & firing on #5 first...now, there is one other possibility......:icon_idea:
Hazmat: me not so stupied as me thin k me is. ;missingteeth; Edit: actually, the preload is built into the passenger's side by off-setting the engine, so it should lean to the passengers side with no one sitting in the trucf(truk); however, if you park facing south, the torque from the rotation of the earth is going to cancel out the pre-load; also it's harder to turn a truck over onto the drivers side for the same reason........................Yank:icon_rofl:. Also Hazmat, do you think we could start a Technical Library sub-forum titled, "Goofiest Replies", so i could get some more Rep Power? Seriously: which link on the sway bar do you shorten to set the pre-load on your truck?(i'mgonnaclosethelidonmylaptopsoyoucaintseemelaughin)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals