• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

water pump install problem

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6 durasparked holley 350
Transmission
Manual
i put my new water pump in, an got a new fan clutch in there too got everything put back together pretty easy atcually but i went to fill it up an soon as i put a splash in there it came directly out as fast as i put it in ?? cant seem to see where its coming from !!! driver side of motor towards the front is all i kno it didnt leak before i changed the water pump an its a big ass leak

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i put my new water pump in, an got a new fan clutch in there too got everything put back together pretty easy atcually but i went to fill it up an soon as i put a splash in there it came directly out as fast as i put it in ?? cant seem to see where its coming from !!! driver side of motor towards the front is all i kno it didnt leak before i changed the water pump an its a big ass leak
Did you leave the lower hose unhooked from the radiator or something? Petcock? Should be pretty easy to find IMO... Maybe a big gash in the lower part of the radiator? You'll probably have to crawl under there with a light and take a look.

Pete

mercman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If memory serves me right there's a lower thermostat housing behind the lower part of the water pump. The lower radiator hose should hook into it. It is removable with the water pump bolts, and if you didn't replace the gasket on it you are most likely leaking from it now.

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
those thermostats are a PITA to seal up, i kept getting the wrong seal so finally i just said F IT and used rtv.

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did this a few weeks ago and my thermostat slipped down in its housing when I was putting the bolts in and created a nice big leak. hope this helps:headbang:

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok got the leak fixed mercman got it right! the lower thermostat housing i didnt kno it un bolted with the water pump so fixed that an no leaks !!! but bigger problem if i go over say 45 my temp starts crawling up an then trys to over heat it pumps all my coolant into my over flow therefor over heats then!!

im running 32 11.5s with 373 gears with my 2.8L an a 4 speed tranny it only starts to overheat when the motor has the load on it going over 45 mph !

iv replaced water pump, fan clutch, coolant an flushed, all hoses, heater core bout a year ago, idk what else it could be im already not running neither top nor bottom thermostats under 45 mph it runs at about 145 to 150 but over 45 it goes past 160 an trys to over heat if i keep accelerating idk what to do !! before all these problems it ran at 160 an never rose unless i was hardcore wheelin then maybe 170 with mud in my radiator lol idk i think its the tires makin my motor work to hard but if i give it the gas it will do 70 atleast with those tires so i dunno somebody got any answers ! thanks for the help fellas

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
how do ya like that power with 32's and 3.73's ? did ya fill the coolant up the the "special refill procedure" stated on the label under the hood?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok got the leak fixed mercman got it right! the lower thermostat housing i didnt kno it un bolted with the water pump so fixed that an no leaks !!! but bigger problem if i go over say 45 my temp starts crawling up an then trys to over heat it pumps all my coolant into my over flow therefor over heats then!!

im running 32 11.5s with 373 gears with my 2.8L an a 4 speed tranny it only starts to overheat when the motor has the load on it going over 45 mph !

iv replaced water pump, fan clutch, coolant an flushed, all hoses, heater core bout a year ago, idk what else it could be im already not running neither top nor bottom thermostats under 45 mph it runs at about 145 to 150 but over 45 it goes past 160 an trys to over heat if i keep accelerating idk what to do !! before all these problems it ran at 160 an never rose unless i was hardcore wheelin then maybe 170 with mud in my radiator lol idk i think its the tires makin my motor work to hard but if i give it the gas it will do 70 atleast with those tires so i dunno somebody got any answers ! thanks for the help fellas
What do you consider overheating? I just put a 190 thermostat in mine while I had it apart and that is what it runs... which is what it should run. Running without a thermostat (or two for you guys with a mid '85 and earlier) isn't fixing anything but rather covering up a bigger problem. Or it could just be cycling the coolant so fast without the thermostats it doesn't have time to dissapate heat in the radiator before it is time to go thru the engine again. Another thing I would check is flow thru the radiator, both for bugs plugging up the airflow and gunk inside plugging up coolant flow.

I also had issues with that stupid outlet on the back of the timing cover, it was running down the front of the engine and wicking back up my grease to the water pump and I didn't know that stupid thing existed until I couldn't get the holes to line up for the lower radiator outlet when I replaced what was probably a good water pump... then after a few tries at getting it to seal off came the last A/C compresser bracket and PS pump so I could get the thing clean enough to seal, not one of Ford's best ideas IMO.

mercman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should run a thermostat, to allow the radiator some time to cool your coolant. You might check your intake bolts.

My B2 had the same kind of issues driving around town would be fine but on the highway or hard driving would heat up. I tried everything, (including running no thermostat-made it worse) but never thought of the intake. Got it really really hot after giving up on engine tore it down and found a small gasket leak from an exhaust port to water port in the intake. My intake bolts were just tighter than finger tight. I guess that's what I get for getting a mechanics lien sale car. half aced.

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its usualyl starts creepin past 205 an i start callin it overheatin my fins on the radiator are clean i pressure washed em, an wats this proper filling procedure lol no leaks or anything other wise it dont use no coolant just pumps it out if it gets a chace to get warm

chickhauler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just went through almost the same thing with my 84. I had to put in a 195 thermostat and my heater hoses were crossed. After that she runs about 210 and doesn't puke out any coolant. The hose coming from the right side of the heater core should go to the top of the intake and the other one to the water pump/thermostat housing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals