• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brother who thinks he is my network administrator

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My brother is a self proclaimed computer god. He isn't, he just knows a little more about computers then I do. And he thinks it is some funny sh!t to mess with my computer. He has done everything from changing my passwords to locking me out of the network.

Recently he changed my account type to a guest account and now I'm having a problem changing it back to administrator. I can change my account type to were it says I'm an administrator but I still have limited access. I cannot install or uninstall programs, cant access all of my files or do anything else that I would normally be able to do. How do I fix this?

Also there is an encrypted folder that he has on my computer that I cant get into. Any help with this would be appreciated.

-Jester

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming your running Windows XP?

First off, I'd turn the guest account off, completely. Make it inaccessible.

Next, create a password reset disk (you will need a floppy drive and an empty floppy disk....and I LOVE this feature, once upon a time I used this feature to circumvent being grounded off my computer :D )

To do so, go to your control panel, open your "User Accounts", select your username, and on the left side of the window find where it says "Prevent a Forgotten Password", click that and it'll bring up a new window called the "Forgotten Password Wizard". Follow its instructions, and the next time he changes your password, pop that disk in and reboot the computer... it should give you an opportunity to use the reset disk.

Past that, I suggest you lock your computer down very tightly. Turn off Remote Desktop Assistance, also make sure that it asks for a password when ever its coming out of "sleep" mode or coming out of a screensaver. Delete any existing accounts besides your own, turn off the guest account, change your password to something with 12+ characters (make it something random, that he couldn't possibly guess)

Your computer may not have this feature... but if it does your in luck. Some computers have a "BIOS Power-On Password" feature, that requires a password to even power on the computer. To search for this feature, you will need to reboot your computer, and while its loading, look around on the screen for something telling you which key to hit to enter the BIOS. (most often its the DELETE key or TAB, but it does vary some so pay attention and find the instructions on the screen). Once you enter the BIOS, look through your options, the Power-On Password will probably be under something titled "Power Settings" or something similar (can also try under Advanced Settings, etc... it might take some looking around) But be careful and DO NOT change any existing settings in the BIOS.

As for the rest of it, it sounds as if hes changed the user permissions for administrator accounts. Its been a long time since I messed with account permissions so I can't help you with that. My personal suggestion would be....backup any/all files you need/want/can, and format the partition containing Windows. Get a clean slate, reinstall and load your stuff back on, and then lock it down tight. Otherwise he's just going to keep messing with you.

(On another note, you could always exact your revenge by taking a screenshot of his desktop, removing all his icons from the desktop, and then set his background as the screenshot you just took. It'll look like nothing changed, but he wont be able to use any of the icons. A baseball bat would have a more satisfying effect, though.)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I agree with Twizzler09 about locking down your computer...but I'd suggest something different for with your brother...

Maybe mess with his ride if he drives...like removing coil wires when you know he's got an important date...he'll be at your mercy...or tie one of his ankles to his bedpost while he sleeps...and his opposite wrist to the headboard...makes it kinda difficult to untie yourself that way...

Or bedbugs...if you really want to drive him whacky...lol

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Twizzler09 about locking down your computer...but I'd suggest something different for with your brother...

Maybe mess with his ride if he drives...like removing coil wires when you know he's got an important date...he'll be at your mercy...or tie one of his ankles to his bedpost while he sleeps...and his opposite wrist to the headboard...makes it kinda difficult to untie yourself that way...

Or bedbugs...if you really want to drive him whacky...lol
Problem with messing with his ride is he doesn't have his own, he drives our moms car. Important date, ya right, I don't think he has ever been on a date. Now messing with him in his sleep works, itching powder is always fun, or tacks in the shoes. Right now he is getting a Death Metal wake up, blasting Devildriver at full volume with the sub pointed at his head(through a wall).

I cant outright lock the computer down, its kind of the family computer. Its mine in the sense that I bought it but the rest of the family uses it. I know with unlimited access he can do whatever he wants to the computer even with limited access he can still do alot, as long as I can change it back its just an minor inconvenience to me.

Maybe install a key logger....wait I cant install anything:annoyed:.

-Jester

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think the only solution is simply to not allow him to use it if you're only using Windows. Tell him to buy his own, or stop his shit. If he refuses, you'll simply have to use physical force. If you cannot win, then either let him claim (this is what he has done) your equipment, or you could always talk to mom and get him in trouble (like grounded from driving).

Pete

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
You can install a hardware-based keylogger. That will capture anything he types and let you view it regardless of whatever access level he sets you as.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Grind a sleeping pill and a laxative into his evening beverage.

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another thing you can do is edit his permissions. Make him a Power User. It has most of the privileges of Administrator but limits certain higher functions.

And if you want more control you can manually set the permissions on his account.

Plus if you don't want him typing in random passwords to try and figure yours out, setup login attempts and time outs.

That way the account will lock after X attempts and for an X amount of time and he will be thwarted for a little bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals