• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need computer help!

93STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I obviously have gotten a virus or two. When I log in this window pops up, it looks like an msdos window, and then there ends up being about 8 of them.
I'm then prompted with a little button that says close or cancel, something along those lines. I've ran avg and pctools anti-virus scans on it and it hasn't fixed it. What do I do?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I obviously have gotten a virus or two. When I log in this window pops up, it looks like an msdos window, and then there ends up being about 8 of them.
I'm then prompted with a little button that says close or cancel, something along those lines. I've ran avg and pctools anti-virus scans on it and it hasn't fixed it. What do I do?
Try using malwarebytes:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Or SpyBot Search and Destroy.

The thing about using anti-viruses against Spyware is that they're not looking for those necessarily.

I've found that a lot of those spys disable stuff, like Windows Update, AVG's ability to update, and running Spybot/Malware bytes.

What I usually do is simply look in the system32 directory under windows, sort my date modified, and look for some curious DLL files. Then I use a variety of software - process explorer and unlocker - to pin point the bad DLL, kill it out of memory, and use unlocker to unlock and physically delete it. Then run anti-spy software to remove the left overs. Also helps to clean up stuff that's loading with another program called autoruns. But this isn't recommended as you can really screw up your system if you don't know what you're doing. But this has been the only way I've been able to get rid of some. Also would be wise to use a program called WireShark to verify that you don't have any traffic spewing from your machine, but again, another advanced tool...

Pete

Last edited:

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
specific details. could be a bud, or bud lite....who is your internet provider. do they offer free virus programs. reload?, if nothing important on computer. :icon_pepsi:

WOW, dont touch "autorun" or start up programs. BUT delete dll's

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had a similar problem with a virus that was downloaded with an application...something like Yahoo or Google toolbar...I used BitDefender to remove the virus (viri) because there were more than one...once the system was clean I still had to go through and remove the offending applications because they were also conflcting with each other and causing IE to lockup and shutdown the system...

This, of course, was not on my computer but one in the house that is used by a few people...gotta watch what other people load onto a computer...

So, bottom line...if your AV SW is not correcting it you may also have a conflict on your system...get a different AV prog like the one Pete suggested above or go out and buy a licenced version and update it before running a scan...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals