• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

06 Milan

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Just putting a question out ther for feedback. this is not our 1st front wheel drive car...none of the others did this.

We, my wifes car, have a 06 Milan. Very pleased with it so far. Yes it has the I4 engine and is peppy enough for her.

It just has this nasty quirk, highly intermittant suspention wiggle. seems like we have to hit a bumb just right and is most noticable at highway speeds, >45 mph. Seems to be on the passanger side only.

It becomes most unsettling with winter limited traction road conditions, then a bumb isn't needed, or not much of one. It just starts to wiggle/sway and when your driving in multiple lanes and it does this, a real white knuckle event. It has always corrected itself , never move the steering wheel at all, but we have had let off the gas. But I have came close to start to counter steer to get out of it. Otherwise it seems to drive OK. No we do not use the cruise control in those driving conditions.

The best way to discribe it on partialy snow covered roads it feels like it wants to hydroplane or black ice & the rear want to go ahead of the front, for the most part to the passanger side. Or the suspension becomes untentioned from the front to the back, or back from the front, take your pick. And like there is elastic joining the rear wheels. This lasts only for a few seconds

In dry road conditions it will wiggle it butt at folks behind us and isn't nearly as concerning.

Now this does have the larger lowprofile tires, not sure whether that has anything to do with it or not??

Tires are very new front have just a few miles on them and the rear have <15k. The fronts were on the rear and were getting worn down pretty well...so we replaced them and put the new on the front. that wasn't it.

Had this in twice to the dealership where we purchased it and checked the alignment both times and check suspension over and came out with no adjustment each time.

The servise manager told me that there was 3 other Milan owners with simular issues. Apprently we're not the only ones. I have noticed fusions doing the same thing as we followed them.

Like said it is intermittant making it hard to pin down. Just wondering if there were others out there that has experieced the same with their Milan and or Fusion's and what was done to correct it???

thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
on another thread the suggestion was to put the new tires on the rear to correct over steer. but I'm not moving the wheel at all

I've put lots of new tires on othe cars in pairs & always on the drive axles.

does anybody else buy this?

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I'm definately not sure what this is. It has nothing to do with FWD as far as handling goes. This sounds quite specific. I'm looking at the Milan/Fusion for my wife as well, but the AWD version. I'll be watching to see what you find out.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Update time
we just put 2 more new tires on to match what we installed earlier.
piliminary results are good...lots quieter.

while it was on the rack ...i took a stroll back and looked thing over while wheels were off. The DS spun realatively easy...the PS did not....so I'm getting the rear brake and bearing checked...my suspision is the caliper is hanging up up/not releasing completely.
this would possibly explain some of the yo-yoing MPG's were are getting along with this wiggle.

OUtside of that...we like the car, diffinatly rides better than the 07 tuarse, which we had a loner while they worked on this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals