• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark cost

Kyle84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm considering durasparking my truck because it has basically no power (doesnt do good uphill at 55mph and 4th gear with 31's and 3.73's...) and it gets like 10mpg. What is the usual total price of durasparking?

I haven't checked the compression but I'm sure it's not where it should be and it leaks oil out of the front and rear main seals, and it smokes.

When I bought it, basically all the sensors were unplugged and the air pump is gone.

Would it really be cost effective to rebuild and duraspark, or should I consider a swap? I am thinking about a 4liter in the back of my mind.

And would durasparking it with the stock carb work for a while till I had time to get a holly 350?

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
The smoke is most likely valve stem seals,I replaced mine at 150,000 miles and it made a hell of a difference.

Durasparked at 151,000 miles,huge difference.I no longer recommend the holley 350,too much for this engine,and holley tech assistance says the same.

I am looking at a rebuilt holley f2 from advanced auto parts,#645242 @$223 +$30 core,or Napa hol645242 @254 +$12 core.

Print off duraspark info in tech library for your guide.

If you have emmisions where you live forget this.

Expect to pay around $500 if you buy all new as I did,good luck.

Kyle84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As for the emissions, I don't have that here.

Are you satisfied with the power? I'm not looking for tons of power. I just want it to get up the road and be able to use fifth gear...

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As for the emissions, I don't have that here.

Are you satisfied with the power? I'm not looking for tons of power. I just want it to get up the road and be able to use fifth gear...
I'm happy with the power for now,but the mileage is about what you have now,10 to 12.

I have 3.45 gears and I lay rubber in a 25 year old truck on original engine.Would I be happier with a 4.0 or 3o2?Hell yes!

If your sensors are unplugged,go for it,It's easy.

Kyle84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would it be ok to use the factory carb for a while? Just untill I save for one?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you research 2.8 threads going back a ways,there were tips on modifying the feedback carb,I never did because I wanted plug and play(hol 350) and I have spent countless hours to get it dialed in to no avail.

Biggest thing is no place for vacuum advance for distributor and you have to make a block for iac if iI recall correctly.

When I researched parts,I used 2.8 79 pinto for reference,went to the counter and asked for 79 pinto parts.
Some had to be ordered,took about 1 day.

Kyle84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks you have help alot.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No problem,check back in as you go as there are many here that have done it and will help you.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
The parts for my duraspark cost about $130, all new, but I didn't have to buy a carb or coil I used the TFI coil and had a carb . Before I did the conversion I was getting around 11 mpg, am now getting around 14 mpg.
Using the stock feedback carb( a POS, btw) will most likely cause poor performance and affect mpg. You can find a used one at a junkyard and rebuilt it. Just find one that has the same cfm as the original. I'm using a 2bbl off of a 330 engine.

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
I did everything for about $160, used carb and rebuild included. I now get 18mpg on the highway with 4.10, 33" tires, 4sp. and can still light up the tires. Vacuum advance for the dizzy not a problem b/c if you remove all old emission stuff you will have many vacuum ports to fill, just use one for the dizzy.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ordered the rebuilt holley f2 today at Autozone for $179 and will be able to get it in 2 days.This is the listed carb for a 79 pinto 2.8l duraspark engine.

I will post up mileage after I have a chance to clock a tank.yesterdays fill up yielded a reading of 13 mpg on the holley 350 cfm,running #59 jets and 6.5 power valve.

Kyle84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I would like to see how much difference it makes. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals