• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Infamous Speedometer Problem...

Daemi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
My 2000 Mazda B-2500 has problems with the speedometer :annoyed:. I replaced the ABS Speed Sensor on the rear differential as advised from countless web sources. This removed the ABS light from coming up on my dash and has given some functionality to the speedometer but it is still not working 100% (I haven't reset the computer yet so the check engine light is still on). The speedometer previously was stuck at 0mph. After the new sensor installation the speedometer is only working when I reach the speed of 35+mph when it jumps up from 0mph.

Any ideas/advice/expertise would be much appreciated.

Daemi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
the day after...

Went out to my truck this morning on the way to work. Go to turn it on and nothing. All the electrical comes on but nothing else (I did add oil yesterday because it was low, but did not overfill). After making a few calls on the phone I make that 'last try' and it fires right up and drives fine for the rest of the day. Driving on the freeway the speedometer is erratic, jumping about 10mph either way intermittently. Driving on the way home the ABS light comes back on :sad: After getting home I turn it off then on again and the ABS light is gone...

Any ideas/suggestions/expertise are much appreciated~

Thanks.

Last edited:

cz157

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Had a similiar issue..

My speedo was erratic (and abs light on), until a certain speed...and eventually erratic all the time....and then kaput. I replaced the abs sensor in the rear differential, which corrected the issue....but not until I "engineered" tape and a plastic tie to make sure the sensor was solidly in the differential housing, and not moving. I had realized that I cracked the little weak plastic latch that secures the sensor into the wire.

If you can use a temp fix to make sure the sensor isn't getting bounced around when driving and still have the same problem, then you either have a bad sensor or some other issue exceeding my very limited knowledge.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals