• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tranny wines at high rpm

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
the tranny i put in my truck wines as soon as you let the clutch out and the higher the rpm get the more and louder it wines. in 4th gear when the rpm are much lower i dont hear anything but it wines a lot in first and some in 2nd and a little in 3rd but whenever i get the rpm up in the gears it will start wining. so i think its the input shaft that goes to the clutch. how long will it go until it breaks and is it the input shaft? also when i put the tranny on i noticed the input shaft was a little loose.

it is a 1990 ranger 2wd 2.3 4 cylinder 5 speed

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How long? Anywhere from 5 minutes to a few decades.

There really is no way to know.

From what you describe, I agree; it sounds like the transmission internals (perhaps the input bearing, though there are a few other things that might behave that way as well). Particularly if you can make it whine in 5th but not 4th.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
OK, so it whines worst in 1st gear, somewhat less in 2nd gear, even less in 3rd, and not at all in 4th.

Ergo, this whine is clearly a function of the RPM difference between the input and output (main) shafts. In 1st gear this RPM diff is the greatest; in 4th "gear", the two shafts are simply locked together (hence the 1:1 ratio), that's why there's no whine at all.

i.e. this must be caused by bad needle bearings that the output shaft rides on inside the internal end of input shaft, right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals