• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap T-5 is stiff

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
the NWC T-5 that my brother and I rebuilt seems to be stiff in spinning the input shaft. We put it in neutral and tried to spin it by hand and it's very stiff.

Nothing is binding and I have not put the gear oil in yet, it shifts in and out of all the gears just fine. Is it normal for a rebuilt tranny to be stiff? I'm thinking that it should loosen up with gear oil and usage, but I'm not sure.

Help me.:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you might have the end play too tight...and dont put gear oil in it

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
WC gets ATF. NWC gets 80w gear oil. Thats the specs on the tranny. The endplay shouldn't be tight, we left a little bit of wiggle in it.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
for some reason i didnt see the N in NWC...my bad,. something is definately binding if its hard to turn. unless you have it in gear, then itll be a little stiff depending what gear its in. you sure its in neutral? if it is, take it back apart. it dont take long

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
for some reason i didnt see the N in NWC...my bad,. something is definately binding if its hard to turn. unless you have it in gear, then itll be a little stiff depending what gear its in. you sure its in neutral? if it is, take it back apart. it dont take long
So, should it turn with 2 fingers(easy), or a light grasp of the hand(some stiffness)? It doesn't free spin alot, but it does free spin a little with a good twist of the wrist.

OK, this is what I know, when we were at the point where the input bearing retainer could be installed, it was a snug spin. After we shimmed and bolted down the bearing retainer, it tightened up just a half a hair, barely noticed a difference, still a snug spin.

It's hard to explain without actually showing it to you.

Last edited:

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
If you put the clutch plate on the shaft, then its easy to turn(more to grab). But it still feels "tight". Maybe I'll let the local tranny shop give it a once over. Or maybe if I add the gear oil, it will loosen up a little.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
from what youre saying its probably fine. a NWC would maybe be a hair tighter due to gears riding on a shaft instead of needle bearings

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
from what youre saying its probably fine. a NWC would maybe be a hair tighter due to gears riding on a shaft instead of needle bearings
I took off the retainer cap(pulled the treads out along with one of the stupid bolts,
heli-coil time!!!) and removed one of the shims, there's still very little endplay and the shaft moves a heck of a lot easier. So, maybe that's what the problem was.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like you need to dial in the play a little better. too tight is bad. shim until there is no endplay and the shaft is pretty stiff side to side. back off a couple thousandths. and by that i mean .002 inch. it should then spin fine and have a slightly noticable side to side play but not excessive

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals