• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD not moving

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought my first BII off craigslist for $200 very little rust. the guy said the tranny line blew and puked the oil and it quit moving, I just got it home and have been taking a closer look at it and the fluid is over full, when I turn it on it dosen't leak anywhere, when I shift thru the gears it the motor lugs down a little like it is going into gear but it dosen't move, No noises from anywhere tried in all t-case ranges would it probably be a nuked tranny? I'm not that good at Auto diagnostics please help, thanks guys I'll post pics later.

Jon

Last edited:

Hewgull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
2.2 liters of clankity bang
Transmission
Manual
First I'd drain some fluid so it's not over full. Then you can look at the fluid to see if there are any big chunks of material in it. It would help if you had a pressure gauge to put in the diagnostic port on the tranny to see what kind of pressure the pump is putting out. It could be the pump is nuked.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can give that a try, where should the pressure be at?

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Be sure to check inside the trans filter for metal. Mine lugged, but would not move and when I removed the trans filter and shook it there were a dozen rollers from a transmission bearing inside it. Hope your problem is less costly.:icon_cheers:

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am kinda expecting to re-build it so nothing is gonna suprise me I guess.

Hewgull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
2.2 liters of clankity bang
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure exactly how much pressure there should be, but put a gauge on it and see if the pressure increases when you push on the gas pedal. I'll see if I can find a spec.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok sounds good, I'll be checking as soon as I get back home

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had a buddy check out the stuff that you guys suggested since I haven't been home yet he pulled the pan and the filter did have bunch of crap in it, didn't check the pressure though. I wanna get some parts ordered to do a rebuild so when I do get home they are there and I can get it done. being that it is a case that the line blew I'm gonna go ahead and say that it got nuked what gets replaced in that case, I know the master re-build with all the clutches and bands is needed as well as a new pump, but how about the torque converter? or the gear sets? Also I saw a post where 4x4Junkie said if a person wanted to keep the A4LD that it could be built to 4.0 specs I just wondered what those are and if anyone can line me up with a supplier to get them from, I found kits on ebay but am leary of them. Thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals