• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 3.0 mpg sudden drop

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 1999 3.0 flex fuel that had its mpg have a sudden drop. I went from 18-19 mpg with normal gas to 14-15. and from 14-15 with E-85 to 12-13. I play around it both fuels frequintly thats how i know what i get for both. All i have done is recently i straight piped it but went through 2 tanks before i noticed the sudden drop. I allways thought losing the muffler would increase its power and economy but is it possible that the 99 3.0 needs the back pressure from the muffler? Even then i wonder why i went through 2 tanks fine.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your exhaust is unlikely to be the culprit if all you did was replace the muffler with a patch pipe.

have you checked tire pressure, air filter, brakes (especially the rears)...ect.

as usual, try having codes pulled even if the cel isnt on.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i have had some screeching from my front wheels for some time now. I have ignored it because it started after i had my rotors replaced and thought it normal at first. it continued on and i continued to ignore it because i couldnt find any signs of rubbing at all.

Other then that i read the 3.0 likes to get better gas around 3rpms, sense i got the stright pipe ive been keeping the car around 2rpms, im gona try keeping it around 3rpms for a tank and see if that makes a difference.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It could make a big difference.....for whatever reason ford made the torque peak of most vulcans around 3600 rpm.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
while that is true, i dont think thats your problem. even at 2,000 rpm i still get 20-21 mpg highway, 24-25 if i run around 3k.

brake noise is never normal. if your front brakes are dragging for some reason, this would explain your sudden drop.

therangerofdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 99 3.0 and when i got it fuel mileage was at 14-15 i work at firestone did fuel system cleaner (some people say it BS. now i don't). and a fuel filter and went up to around 18-19.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
its appeared have gone back up with some change to driving habit and different wheel size. Now at 17-18 with regular gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals