• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Missing 5th gear?

Mookitty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok, just got this truck yesterday:
'83 Ranger 4x4, 2.8L V6, manual shift t-fer case

Looking at the tech library, there's a great picture of the TK-5 trans with the bottom cover shown.

I've looked at mine, and it appears the same. The overall measurements seem to match the TK-5, 17.5 trans + 8.5 for the adapter = 26, which is close enough to the 25.9 shown, given my rough tape measure attempt this evening in my PJs as I was writing this post.

The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a 5th gear. Assuming that 5th is above reverse, I can't find it. The shifter knob is missing the pattern inlay piece, sadly. It's entirely possible that I'm missing something simple, as this is my first vehicle in over 5 years of being motorcycle-only.

Does the TK-X trans have the same bottom cover? But everything else seems to point to me having the TK-5. Please help me find my missing 5th gear.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
TK4's do have the same bottom cover, however, the TK4 i have sitting on my floor only measures about 24.75 inches from bellhousing to the end of the adapter.......

The TK5 sitting next to it is roughly 26.75 inches, measured from the bell hsg to end of the adapter.

By dimension, it sounds like you have a TK4, which was more common in the 83-84 years.......

Last edited:

Mookitty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, the TL page doesn't really mention the TK4 bottom cover. Now that I know that, I'm pretty sure that is a 4-speed.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The difference between the TK4 and TK5 on the outside is that the TK5 has an extra segment between the extension and main gearbox, with its own drain and fill plugs. This houses the 5/R gears. Other than that, the transmissions are strikingly similar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals