• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85/86 ranger Help pls.

majoestic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hello im kinda new to 2.8 ford engines but i have a old ranger that has great potential no rust great frame used for work and had a head to crack just one but the machine shop i took it to said it was the worst blown head he has ever saw and is thinking that maybe my block could be busted also. The Problem is im on a tight budget due to christmas around the corner and need to get the truck running condition till march or a lil l8rcause im rideless back and forth to work. on my title it says 85/86 4x4 ranger cause my rnger was made in the middle of the fuel injected 2.9's i have a 1989 2.9 that was running i took out of a van its fuel injection and i also have a 3.0 that came out of some car actually had it for yrs in a garage my question can i put the 2.9 in place of the 2.8 and just use the 2.8 intake on the 2.9 i want to keep the carb cause i have no idea how to wire the comp and fuel regs up at all that is if my block is fine with no cracks im clueless but in need of some answers and cant get no straight up answers any info and suggestions is greatly needed and all opions but all i have to work with is 2 running engines 2.9 3.0 and maybe a good 2.8 block still in the truck Please help.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
hello im kinda new to 2.8 ford engines but i have a old ranger that has great potential no rust great frame used for work and had a head to crack just one but the machine shop i took it to said it was the worst blown head he has ever saw and is thinking that maybe my block could be busted also. The Problem is im on a tight budget due to christmas around the corner and need to get the truck running condition till march or a lil l8rcause im rideless back and forth to work. on my title it says 85/86 4x4 ranger cause my rnger was made in the middle of the fuel injected 2.9's i have a 1989 2.9 that was running i took out of a van its fuel injection and i also have a 3.0 that came out of some car actually had it for yrs in a garage my question can i put the 2.9 in place of the 2.8 and just use the 2.8 intake on the 2.9 i want to keep the carb cause i have no idea how to wire the comp and fuel regs up at all that is if my block is fine with no cracks im clueless but in need of some answers and cant get no straight up answers any info and suggestions is greatly needed and all opions but all i have to work with is 2 running engines 2.9 3.0 and maybe a good 2.8 block still in the truck Please help.
Well the problem is a problem, your 2.9L will bolt right into your truck if I am not mistaken, But there are a few changes that will cause it to not work.

1. The heads from the 2.9 are different from the 2.8 and therefore the intake will not work with your carb.

2. The 2.9 has different pistons so if you swap out the heads the compression will be different from the 2.8 you have now.

3. The 2.8 has a fuel pump on the side of the block which might just be blocked off on the 2.9, but it is a low pressure pump for the carb and will need to be placed on the 2.9 block.

4. The carb from the 2.8 sucks and should be durasparked for simplicity and reliability unless you have emissions laws.

If the block is still good then I would save it and try to get some heads for it, or if its dead then I would look on craigslist to find a good 2.8l motor or donor truck (rolled or something), I have an extra engine I plan I rebuilding with a few extras to give it a little more pep, I got it and a replacement trans for 350$ off of a guy from anchorage that was putting a 302 in his truck, Trans was what I needed but it was just slightly different from mine and I ended I rebuilding mine in my garage last winter and just sold the trans for 300, 50$ perfect condition spare engine.

That 3.0L won't work as it is from a car probably is mounted sideways in the engine and will not work plus you couldn't put the carb on it either.

Any mor questions please ask. And Welcome to TRS!:icon_thumby:

majoestic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i found a donor that runs great but has been wrecked for 300 bucks the thing is its a 2.9 its a bronco 2 and the frame is exactly the same atleast the front end can i take all the wiring and lines and make it work in my truck i have heard a few people doing this with little problems if so anyone know where i could find a good write up on the swap?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You taking the entire engine and wiring harness/computer?

I would assume that it would just go right for the most part, only thing you would need to custom do would be the fuel lines from the tank and wire up a high pressure pump somewhere to get the fuel to like 45psi I think for the fuel injection.

does your truck have a manual? does the donor? because if yours is an auto but the donor is a manual (or the otherway...?)you might also have some problems with the computer not running the transmision.

The best source I would look in the tech library.http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.html

possibly post up in the 2.9 forum and ask if anyones swapped in a 2.9 from a 2.8?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals