• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help, I think my engine is toast.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I started on my GM nonfeed back system (same a duraspark but a little gm module replaces the big duraspark module), I got all the vacuum lines and mostly got the wires out, then I went to go and pull the POS carb and under my oil cap and on the other side where that vacuum line thing goes to the carb from the valve cover, It is a solid mass of milky white I really don't know where the waters been getting in but I am going to assume its been like this for awhile, also my rear axle and the front main seal have just been dumping oil all over the place, I left it over night and there is atleast a quart of oil on the ground and maybe a quarter of a quart of gear oil. It already ran horrible before I took it apart but then it still had the feed back carb ect ect.

I am going to pull the valve covers and see how bad it is today or tomarrow, i rall don't want to put a ton into this engine if I can cause I could just swap in the 302 I've always wanted, and get the same or maybe better gas mileage than 15 - 18.

I would really love to keep my v6 though...

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't really have a ton of money to spend on getting the v8, cause there is literally no vehicles with every part I need and they are all way overpriced cause people think hey It already broke in (literally broe in from all of the rust and salt.) And I'm driving to college next year down in Oregon so it would be nice to keep it and I have the fuel injection stuff for this motor that I was going to swap in soon hopefully.

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The milky white crap on the back of the filler cap is normal for a 2.8L in a colder climate. It is just moisture from the crankcase emulsified with engine oil. Unless your engine oil is turning the same colour, I wouldn't give it too much thought.

This seems to get worse as the engine accumulates more mileage and the blow by increases.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well the problem is that is under both valve covers not just the cap. but I think that I found the problem, my brother forgot to put the oil cap back on when I asked him to top it off since he needs to learn about cars, and some water got in it, I am going to change the oil tomarrow and add some seafoam so it will be good, but damn I need to get all these leaks fixed... I should just have the mechanics at my work replace it and save me the hassel of pullin the harmonic balancer and stuff.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals