• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold Start Duraspark problems

canadianice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 171
Transmission
Automatic
I'm hoping to get some help here because this question has me stumped. When I first fire my DURASPRARKED 84 BII automatic up in the morning I get a problem. I have the fast Idle on my non computer 2150 carb. set at about 2000 Rpm and I let my truck begin to warm up. If I let my truck sit on the high Idle cam for about 3 min. @ 2000rpm to warm up, my truck starts to bog and the idle begins do go down and the truck begins to run rough and miss till it stalls. By this time the engine is getting warmer and it shouldn't just decided to bog and stall just sitting there, plus the throttle is open a bit because the carb. is still on the high cam setting. As soon as I restart the truck the problem seems to go away. I have tried to pin point some electrical issue for this but have come to dead ends. Funny thing is I did the Duraspark Conversion because it use to do this on my TFI ignition system as well. This leads me to believe the problem is hiding somewhere in my starting sequence electronics. Any help would be great. Also its about 50F outside in the morning when I start my truck.

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
Mine did that too, I only let it run at high idle for 30/45 sec. than kick it off high idle w/ half or less choke ( you didnt say if you had man. or auto choke) runs fine after that. mornings have been in 30s lately, no problem keeping it running.

canadianice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 171
Transmission
Automatic
I have an electronic choke, I guess i can back off the tension a bit and let it open sooner. I will try this. thank you for the help.

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont trust automatic chokes, elec./ therm. at least with a manual its never gonna screw up!

canadianice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 171
Transmission
Automatic
I just put back on my 2150 carb because My holley 350 was being a piece of crap starting in the cold. I put an electric choke kit on it and it just never started right. It was always to rich and was a pig on gas. These motorcraft carbs seem to not be that much less powerful and have better drive ability. Either that or Im an idiot at tuning holleys. Another quick question. Do you know if you need a ballast resistor between my duraspark control and my MSD coil?

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont think so, that might be on 85 only. Better check the duraspark sec. to be certain. Ive still got the TFI but thats it, running motorcraft 2100, everything else gone......Eh..back the truck up looks like you do need the resistor, 350 holley is a little to much CFM for a stock 2.8, and those motorcrafts are so simple you can rebuild em blindfolded.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dang, I was hoping you ment cold start as in -10 to 10 degrees (like it is here every morning) I know my truck hates cold mornings, will Idle for about 20 -30 seconds if I'm lucky (even holding the gas down), I would say it has to do with too high too long.

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rare it gets to 15 deg here , But mine actually starts better in fridgid cold than in 38 deg. and rain. go figure.

canadianice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 171
Transmission
Automatic
Well Im from Vancouver Canada and it gets cold and wet here. Its like 40F outside and 85% humidity. Guess that's just a by-product of living in a rain forest. I guess I should pick up a resistor then.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like you have a choke problem. Check that system out for your idle problem; follow the instruction on your rebuild sheet or search on-line.

The resistor drops the voltage going to the coil and allows it to live longer although MSD's are high quality items and should last longer than stock. It can be run without, but it has a shorter life and the 'extra spark' from 12-13V doesn't do any good that I ever noticed. You may want to check the MSD site to see what they say; if they say wire it into the existing wires, then use a resistor.

canadianice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 171
Transmission
Automatic
Well I decided to put my Holley 350 carb back on. My old 2150 is toast. But now I am having some off idle surging with it. I cant figure this truck out for the life of me. I have the holley jetted down to 55 jets, checked my ignition timing, Idle mixture. Only thing I can think is maybe my MSD Coil is messing up and giving this surging that I am experiencing at part throttle. maybe since I don't have a resistor in there its getting to much voltage and the spark is bouncing around in the distributor. Any Ideas? Also Can anyone tell me what symptoms I would experience if my Distributor was going bad?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals