• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 fullsize bronco ?s

poweranger84

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
any one know about them?

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What do you wanna know?

D44/8.8 Front and rear axles

C6, AOD, and T18 trans options

300 inline, 302, and 351W Engine options

The 300 and 351 were both carbed, with the 351 offering the 4bbl H.O option, the 302 would be Fuel Injected.

Good trucks and decent wheelers, tough as nails and seat 5 people (6 with optional front bench), and i believe still had removable tops in 86.

Towing capacitys, im not sure of but are probely somewhere in the same realm as Shortbox F150's of the same era.

3.08's, 3.55's, 3.73 and i believe 4.10 gearing options.

Be more specfic on what you need to know man?

later,
Dustin

poweranger84

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the common problems, and how hard it is to fix rusted out rear wheelwells

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Common problems?

Well, anything thats common on Ford trucks.

First off, Rust, Wheel Arches, Rockers, Cab corners, are the places to really watch. In addition on the bronco the tailgates seem to get eat away as well.

Power rear windows, also seem to take a shit in short order on them.

The removable tops, seem to also leak like a siv in anything but the lightest rain storm.

The 300 inline has a Electronic Feedback Carb that is an absoulte nitemare, its easy to remedy though by changing it out with an older (pre 83) 1bbl from a 300, or going all out and putting a 4bbl on it.

The 302 of that era was EFI, so igntion module problems are common, as are Fuel Pressure regulators and other electonics relatated issues.

The 351's seemed to be pretty solid that year problem wise, the holley carbs on 4bbl versions were known for sticking floats though.

The rest of the drivetrain, the C6 and T18 4sp's are pretty much bulletproof, the 3spW/OD trans (that i forgot to metion eariler) is a decent tranny, but is usually used in conjuction with extremely high rear end gears, and makes for an overall dog of a vehicle in the power Department.

The AOD Automatic Overdrive is a decent trans, just dont abuse it.

The axles are pretty troubless.

Automatic Locking hubs, avoid. Sometimes you get lucky and they work, other times they are junk. They are eaisly replaced with lockouts though.

Im not sure if the Touch Drive 4x4 was available in 86, but if it was, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAUGE, they are junk (not the transfer case, but all the electonrics assosiated with shifting it), get one with a manual T case.

As far as fixing wheel arch rust, the only right way to do is is cut them out and weld in new panels. Wheel archs rust from the inside out so grinding off surface and repainting it will only mask the problem for a few months at best.

later,
Dustin

timster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if the arches are rusting, then your wheel humps are rusting also. The rear of the tubs rust out, also some people have problems where the side seams in with the bed floor. The B pillars at the bottom rust also. Watch your fuel tank, its pinched between a skid plate and straps, the skid plate holds dirt and moisture close to the tank and causes rust, get a plastic unit from Jeff's.

The reason why the tailgates rust is the seals suck same problems with the blazers, basically water pours in from the window and sits inside. The motors are the same motors from passager side (if I remeber correctly) of any ford car or truck from the 50's through the mid 90's. Generally you can rebuild the motor if it still makes noise, the kits like $10. Basically any tub made in the 80's and 90's will fit on the truck, same with the tailgate (the latches changed in 83 if I recall correctly)

Part sources is Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, LMC truck

They are great trucks, I have a 88 its my plow truck, not to bad of a little truck, pushes like mad, the 302 runs like a bat out of hell. The body is rusted and might swap my tub out with a 92-96, or just a 96 pickup cab I have laying around. I finally got the wiring figured out ;) now I can pull codes off it and it runs great!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals