• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

servicing my 5R55e

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have read online where it is bad to actualy "flush" the transmission, and I should only drop the pan and change the filter. If I do this, how will I get the remainder of the fluid out of the torque converter? I want to get the most miles out of my transmission. What do you guys recommend? If you guys do flush, how could I do this myself?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You can do it either way. If the fluid is still red, just dropping the pan is fine.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. If the fluid is not burnt and your not having any issues with the operation with the transmission, then the fluid remaining in the torque converter is not an issue. But if you do find nasties in the pan, it might be a sign of future troubles. Also, don't forget to clean and re-install your pan magnet. It's there for a reason!

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help!

highfever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
also keep in mind though it may not be dirty, burnt or broken down now, but in another 10-30k it will be broke down, burnt and dirty then. if you are looking for life from your tranny you really should flush and do 100% fluid exchange. just to drain and fill is basically defeating your purpose. that is like mixing hot beer with cold.

if you just drain and fill you should just dump some trans fluid with 15k on it in. that is what you get when you mix new and old.

your fluid is still going to be dirty, just not as much.

also keep in mind that trans fluid also helps to decipate heat. A hot transmission does not operate as effecient as a cooler one. clean fluid will decipate better that half dirty and half clean.

just keep all this in mind when changing your fluid.

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you know how to refill the tranny after you drain it. the new 5 speed auto in my wifes '05 mustang has no dip stick. Do they have one on the rangers?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals